Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Breaking some "Whammystique" (not Digitech's)

Inerzia

It's been two weeks since I got an H9 max. Not much to say that you can't guess or you don't already know. It's superb.
...but, I must say... as famed as Eventide's pitch shifting algorithms are, the whammy on Helix sounds waaaaay better to me than its H9 "equivalent", the Pitchflex, which is sounding grainy, not as fluid as the one on Helix.
Also, I can't tell that H9 does a better job than Helix at harmonizing. 

Congrats, L6. 

Other than its "whammability", the H9 is brilliant, and it's going to be a perfect complement for the Helix, for those moments where my patch needs that extra cpu intensive block and the Helix is already breaking a sweat.
Compact size, which I welcome, as I'm already taking up nearly as much stage space as our keyboardist.
Stereo, perfect for one of the stereo loops in Helix, that I can put wherever I want in the chain.
I don't want to go into all the "oranges and apples" arguments, I know they're not the same kind of beast, I'm just SO HAPPY that I have both and how they fit together.

Can Helix change the H9 preset via MIDI?

I haven't tried yet, so far I'm selecting manually, which is not a big deal, because I use one preset per song (routing options, switching, parameters controlled by pedals...) Anyway, the idea is to change H9's presets and parameter values from Helix, but I'm waiting for a midi splitter to arrive, as the Helix is already controlling a GR-55, and I don't really like daisy chaining. Helix is able to send program changes, and H9 responds to them, so I bet it'll work

Yes, Helix can have the H9 change presets. On a per (Helix) preset basis or on a snapshot basis. Or on demand via stomp commands.

And what's wrong with daisy chaining? I run the Helix MIDI Out to the H9 and then onto an EHX HOG2. With cheap cables. No issues. It's not like there is a lot of MIDI commands floating through the chain, just when I change presets or snapshots.

Semi-unrelated, but for what it's worth I know my Helix will change presets over MIDI on my Line 6 M5, and it's pretty cool that it can be set to happen when changing presets on the Helix, or when I hit the assigned bypass foot switch for the FX loop block.

And what's wrong with daisy chaining? 

Back in the old days, it was popular knowledge that you shouldn't run long daisy chains to prevent loss of data, decreased speed, saturation of the first devices in the chain... anyway, I don't think my setup would be drastically affected if I daisychained it, the thing is, the H9 and the GR-55, which will both be commanded by Helix, are sitting in opposite sides of it, so I prefer to use a splitter.