Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Modeling tones have become dark and dull

When I first received my JTV69, the difference between the piezo modeling and the magentic pickups was so close to being the same.  After a few years of plenty of gigs my modeling tones have lost a ton of high end.  The difference between the piezos and magnetics is huge now.   

What can I do to restore the original shimmer and detail of the modeling tone?  is this an easy maintenance issue?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Please excuse the stupid questions...but sometimes you do need to ask:

Have you changed the strings?  :huh:

Have you done any editing in Workbench that could have dulled the models?

Have you predefined a lower Tone knob setting?

Beyond that, then pointless as it might sound - try reinstalling the Firmware (you must accept the factory presets and then re-install the backups of your customised patches that you made from Workbench).

Then we can consider other physical changes that happen over time - perhaps there is dirt around the piezos that can be cleaned out.

My JTV 69 is over 5 years old and I would actually quite like to make some of the acoustic models to sound a little duller - more like an acoustic in the room.

https://youtu.be/VSrw9x1axSk

I made a quick video demonstrating the difference I am hearing between the Piezo and Magnetic Pickups.  Again, I don't remember there being such a big difference between the 2 with the guitar magnetics and the Strat model.  Maybe it's my imagination but the B and high E stings sound very dull and lower volume than before.  The demo was done using the #4 position on a Strat for all.  The only thing different is that I pressed the modeling knob to engage the modelong and pressed it again to use the magnetic pickups. 

BTW: This demo was done after I re-installed everything on my JTV-69 as per the suggestions in this post previously. 

The magnetic pickups on my JTV69 are a bit hotter and sound different than the Spank model. So I don't think you can expect them to sound exactly the same. Truthfully, with my play back speakers, I'm not hearing anything that sounds wrong with yours in the video. Your dull B and E could very well be old strings. But, this is just an opinion made from far away, so you know what that's worth.

I would try some contact cleaner down where the string rides over the saddle. Be careful not to get the cleaner on your guitars finish.

roll back to firmware 1.9 and try again. Had the same problem with firmware 2.x and above. Rolled back tot 1.9 and my spank models were back. What it is, I don't know. Unfort you will losse the workbench HD functionality.

Maybe you can try this, just my 2 cents

roll back to firmware 1.9 and try again. Had the same problem with firmware 2.x and above. Rolled back tot 1.9 and my spank models were back. What it is, I don't know. Unfort you will losse the workbench HD functionality.

Maybe you can try this, just my 2 cents

I hadn't thought about that, but i'll try it.  Thanks!  If it works I'll post a follow up video as well. 

I hadn't thought about that, but i'll try it.  Thanks!  If it works I'll post a follow up video as well. 

Hey Pol2711, you were right on the money.  I rolled my JTV back to 1.9 and the tone has returned.  The modeling is so much closer to the magnetics now...just like I remembered it.  

Thanks again for the tip, I owe you a beer.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to: http://line6.com/software/index.html and search for James Tyler Variax, Flash Memory, Windows 10 (it doesn't matter what OS) hit search.

The results includes firmware versions 2.21, 2.10, 2.0 and 1.90

Click to download the 1.90 firmware and do the sign-in and agree to the Licence terms and save the file to your hard drive.

Connect you guitar to your computer and start up Line 6 Monkey. Select the JTV and load from file; pick the file you just downloaded and let it update.

• Upvote 1

Yes you can get it back - just follow the same process but pick the latest firmware.

And yes you will be missing stuff - but most of it is only important if you have a Helix or HD500x. Such as the ability to use volume and control as expression controls, the ability for the floor unit to swap guitar patches and have the pickup selector work for the new bank, and the ability to blend magnetics with models.

Search for the threads related to the firmware releases to see what changed and what people thought about it

That's bad news then, I've got the Firehawk FX, so I suppose it's the same for that then?

I like having it all integrated with the FH. Might have to give it a miss then.

Thanks for your help.

Yes you can get it back - just follow the same process but pick the latest firmware.

And yes you will be missing stuff - but most of it is only important if you have a Helix or HD500x. Such as the ability to use volume and control as expression controls, the ability for the floor unit to swap guitar patches and have the pickup selector work for the new bank, and the ability to blend magnetics with models.

Search for the threads related to the firmware releases to see what changed and what people thought about it

Yo I have a JTV-89F and I rolled it back to 1.71 since it sounded better to me. I am getting a Helix  will this not work? The Helix wont be able to change my patches??? OMG Why does V2 suck so hard? They spent $$$$  to make it worse?

Yo I have a JTV-89F and I rolled it back to 1.71 since it sounded better to me. I am getting a Helix  will this not work? The Helix wont be able to change my patches??? OMG Why does V2 suck so hard? They spent $$$$  to make it worse?

You can change your patches...you can do that with any firmware. You missed the positioning of the commas:

the ability for the floor unit to swap guitar patches and have the pickup selector work for the new bank

One the the best things about v2 firmware is that no matter what the model knob says when you switch to a Spank preset using a Helix or HD500 then the pickup selector will swap within the Spank Bank - the floor unit changes the Bank on the JTV.

On the older firmware it will swap to whatever model you programmed into the floor unit, but when you change pickup position it will swap to whatever the hardware knob says, which doesn't work so well if you were playing a strat patch, switch pickups in the middle of the solo.... and find yourself playing a banjo!

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

Hi I just bought a 2nd backup JTV 69 ,from my experience I rolled back firmware to v1.9 as acoustics sound better to my ears,however it still doesn't sound the same as my first jtv,even though it says rollback successfull.Any ideas anyone. Thanks.

MIcrosoft won't let me go back to Windows 95 either... perhaps for a similar reason ;)

It is really old and contains various bugs that they have since fixed, so they only let you go to the versions they are comfortable supporting. The only way to go to 1.71 is if you can find a copy of the firmware file that somebody has saved on disk from back when it was current - I am sorry but I don't have anything that old.

All guitars are unique: different tree, different age strings, different components (within a specific tolerance), they will sound different - even variax guitars. You can probably tune the models to be close using Workbench HD (start with global string levels as they have a significant effect).

• 5 weeks later...

Actually, you can go back to v1.71 by selecting Windows XP in Monkey (see the following quote).

If you're struggling with dark lifeless tones, too much difference between mags and piezos, or if you seek better sounding acoustic models, FIRST try reinstalling the latest firmware. According to the L6 knowledge base dull/dark tones are a "known issue". Here's a direct quote: "A seemingly complete update can result in dull/dark audio output on all settings. This can be fixed by performing the update again."

If that doesn't work, rolling back to an older version is your next option... But bear in mind, older firmware requires older non-HD Workshop, which means you'll lose some capability. However, if you change your mind, you can always return to more recent versions.

Ok got it sorted, gives option to roll back from file, I didn't have the file, when you go to download it with windows 10 its not available,but if you say you have windows xp it is there to download. Got it downloaded and have it installed.Acoustics in my opinion are much better in v1.71 tru a pa anyway in a band situation.

If you're struggling with dark lifeless tones, too much difference between mags and piezos, or if you seek better sounding acoustic models, FIRST try reinstalling the latest firmware.

If that doesn't work, rolling back to an older version is your next option...

WORD! And only use the interface for re-flashing the firmeware and... do it twice, for safety reasons*

* not kidding! The flash overwrite seems to be glitchy somehow, especially when a other device than the interface is used