Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A Thousand Apologies (redundant, I'm sure)...

agquake1

Here's my situation:

- Pod HD

- iMac

- External USB speakers

What do I need to do to:

1). Use the Pod HD as a standalone application

2). Use Pod HD in GarageBand or Logic

Thanks, and again... Sorry!

1) Not sure what you mean here. The POD HD is a physical hardware device, not an application. If you mean the HD Edit program it communicates with the POD HD via usb but the POD HD produces the sound. There is no sound processing without the HD device connected. You can run the Edit application standalone (without the POD connected) to inspect the editor settings with downloaded tone files but you won't hear anything.

If you mean using the POD HD without connecting it to your computer or anything else you will need to use headphones or connect speakers to the POD outputs. Unfortunately the POD does not support usb speakers.

2) Connect the POD HD to your Mac via usb. It will become your Mac's soundcard and will be available as the audio input to GarageBand or Logic. However, being your soundcard, your speakers will need to connect directly to the POD, not your computer, to hear anything. Again, usb speakers are not supported.

1) Not sure what you mean here. The POD HD is a physical hardware device, not an application. If you mean the HD Edit program it communicates with the POD HD via usb but the POD HD produces the sound. There is no sound processing without the HD device connected. You can run the Edit application standalone (without the POD connected) to inspect the editor settings with downloaded tone files but you won't hear anything.

2) Connect the POD HD to your Mac via usb. It will become your Mac's soundcard and will be available as the audio input to GarageBand or Logic. However, being your soundcard, your speakers will need to connect directly to the POD, not your computer, to hear anything. Unfortunately the POD does not support usb speakers.

Thanks for the reply. Point 2 understood. For point 1, I just want to connect Pod HD, open HD Edit, and hear the output through the speakers. Does the explanation you provided in point 2 apply here as well (plug speakers into Pod), or can I achieve sound through the speakers some other way?

I edited my earlier post for Q#1 - does that clarify things?

I used to us PodXT when it first came out, and don't recall exactly how I had that set up. So for Q#1, with Pod HD I want to:

- Connect Pod HD to my computer

- Use HD Edit to create tones

- Hear the output of all of the Pod HD through my computer speakers while I play along with backing tracks, etc

Thanks

As described you cannot connect your usb speakers to the POD. After connecting the POD HD via usb you can try to reset your Mac to use its internal sound card rather than the POD. This would let you continue to use your usb speakers to listen to your backing tracks but I don't think you will be able to hear the sound being produced by the POD unless you also run your DAW (Garageband/Logic). Doing this will allow you to monitor the POD sounds using your DAW while also hearing the backing tracks, all through your usb speakers.

Note, however, that you will be hearing a much reduced quality of sound from the POD because it is being routed back through your computer's (inferior) sound card. You overall experience will be much better if you purchase non-usb speakers/monitors and connect them directly to the POD.

For best results I would get a pair of studio monitors, with at least 6" speakers. Your local audio store should have a variey of selections on display for listening comparisons. Bring an mp3 player with some music you usually listen to and select the speakers that you think sound best. Test them at the volumes you expect to be playing at.

sorry missed they were usb connected speakers (not an aux input)

Good Studio monitors can cost thousands and would be an overkill on anyones budget.

If your buying online the Rokit series are perfectly adequate for monitoring and mixing once your used to them.

6" is the way to go but if you are in a small confined concrete box room 5" will be fine.

There are a bunch of brands to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...

Note, however, that you will be hearing a much reduced quality of sound from the POD because it is being routed back through your computer's (inferior) sound card. You overall experience will be much better if you purchase non-usb speakers/monitors and connect them directly to the POD.

Okay, so I have a pair of non-USB speakers connected now. As for connecting the Pod to the speakers, do I just do that from the headphone jack on the front of the speaker or through the back? I'm posting a picture of the back (don't laugh :lol: , these are just temporary starter monitors that I ended up paying $38 out the door for). Oh, and thanks as always!

Elevate3_Back.png

I would use the XLR or 1/4" outputs from the POD rather than the headphone outputs. You will need to get the appropriate adapter to connect to the RCA inputs on your speakers.

I've currently got the RCA inputs on the speakers going into the headphone output on the back of my Mac so that I can hear the computer output. I'll apologize in advance, but can you lay it out for me how I need to configure things so that I can hear both the computer output and the Pod HD output simultaneously? If you could reference the necessary cables/adapters with links I'd be very grateful. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Connect your POD to your Mac via USB. Check the sound settings on your Mac to make sure it is using the POD as its sound card. You will then hear both the computer and POD audio through the POD outputs.

Use the 1/4" POD outputs. Your local audio store should have the required 1/4" to RCA adapter. Search online using the term '1/4" to RCA adapter' to find examples.

Got to Audio MIDI Setup in OS-X to add a new master-device. You now can setup things so that all system sounds (incl. the warning tones) + the POD will be played back over this one master-device.

You will sure find help on YouTube or via google image-search if you search for "Audio MIDI Setup OS-X".

Or articles like this one https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/audio-midi-setup-your-macs-secret-sound-manager