Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XLR OUTPUTS

rychester63

My xlr cord when plugging into the left (mono) or right outputs in the Helix will wiggle if bumped causing a crackle. I have tried multiple xlr's and all of them wiggle. Anyone else had this happen to them? The male pins on the Helix are solid, it's the female end of the xlr itself that seems too small.

Are all of your XLR cables of the same type/brand? We have about a dozen el-cheapo Amazon XLR cables in our rehearsal space and they exhibit that same behavior on pretty much everything (Helix included) except a few drum mics. My slightly more expensive cables with Neutrik-brand XLR connectors are solid on all devices, though. You definitely shouldn't need an external DI box to get XLR out to the PA, should you desire to operate in that way.

Got some new xlr's, wiggled them, no noise. The question I have now from some posts is, why would you want to run 1/4 inch to a DI instead of XLR? Is there any difference in tone? Wouldn't 1/4 inch just be adding outside interference?  Isnt that the whole idea of using XLR's in the first place?

Got some new xlr's, wiggled them, no noise. The question I have now from some posts is, why would you want to run 1/4 inch to a DI instead of XLR? Is there any difference in tone? Wouldn't 1/4 inch just be adding outside interference?  Isnt that the whole idea of using XLR's in the first place?

Reasons I use a DI instead of XLR outs.

1. It sounds the same.

2. It's easy to lift the ground if need be, change the impedance of the output or troubleshoot hum (sometimes just by rotating the DI).

3. There is never a phantom power issue.

4. I NEVER have line/mic/level/impedance mismatches if I use a DI.

5. If someone bumps the cable, it just moves the DI a couple inches, it doesn't pull the cable out and potentially damage the output.

6. The sound guy generally understands an instrument into a DI better than an XLR out connection that may or may not be a level he's used to seeing.

It's really a great idea.

• Upvote 2

In case you want to get ahead of a problem I've never experienced in over a year of using the Helix live in every conceivable venue from basements to full-on, giant FOH places.

If you're playing a place thats small enough to have a board that has Phantom Power on every channel or none, 99% of the time there isn't going to be a single condenser that needs it. 

• Upvote 1

Since you all seem to have a lot of knowledge about the Helix, next weekend I will be using it for the first time live. I will be running direct into the mixer since I also run the sound. Any things that I should be aware of because, I don't like surprises during those circumstances. Just as a side note I have used the podxt live for 12 years with a power amp into a  2x12 cab.

Since you all seem to have a lot of knowledge about the Helix, next weekend I will be using it for the first time live. I will be running direct into the mixer since I also run the sound. Any things that I should be aware of because, I don't like surprises during those circumstances. Just as a side note I have used the podxt live for 12 years with a power amp into a  2x12 cab.

Just make sure Phantom Power is off on the channel you're plugging helix into, and set your gain on that channel according to the signal level, not a preconceived expectation of the level you're "expecting" on a mic channel.

I also created my tones with the big black volume knob at 10:30 - 11:00. Is that the only way to control the output of the signal to the mixer other then individual channel volumes on each amp?

The Global EQ has an output level. The last block, the "output" block, has a level control as well.

So you don't have to worry about exactly where your knob is, just use a DI or mic level output and turn the output knob all the way up to avoid any added line noise.

So your saying in the Global settings Ins/Outs page 2 set my XLR Output to mic instead of line if I use the XLR outputs. Set the 1/4 inch outputs to ? if I use a DI.

So your saying in the Global settings Ins/Outs page 2 set my XLR Output to mic instead of line if I use the XLR outputs. Set the 1/4 inch outputs to ? if I use a DI.

Line/Instrument I think are the choices for the 1/4" out. Use Line to go to a DI.

• 2 weeks later...

So you don't have to worry about exactly where your knob is, just use a DI or mic level output and turn the output knob all the way up to avoid any added line noise.

Followed your advice and it worked like a charm! Got many compliments from other seasoned tube amp players, Think I might of helped Line 6 sell a couple more. THANK YOU!!!