Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

wanting a g70 but not sure about dropout issue

bowkore

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a G70 and was concerned about this, too, as I was using an old pair of X2 SDS-95's that had occasional line of sight dropout issues when I'd wander off into the crowd.  Last night I played a venue that was notorious for these dropouts, and under the exact same conditions that I used the X2's (mounted on pedalboard, monitor in front of it), the G70 gave me zero dropouts.  Can't call this conclusive yet, but I was mightily encouraged by its performance.

Keep in mind that on forums people post mostly negative issues, and very infrequently they post how happy they are with something. So when you go to a forum, the balance of negative to positive is not a true representation of what is actually out there. 

I just bought one... updated both the receiver and transmitter to the latest firmware. I used it at the Whisky in Hollywood (small stage) with zero issues. Used it a few days later at a much larger stage and it cut out several times per song when I got about 10 feet away. In all fairness, I did have it in my back pocket. Maybe my jeans are lead-lined... lol. I ordered a new holster for it and I'll try it outside my pocket and see how it does.

But coming from 6 years with a g50 with almost zero issues, and I go out deep into a crowd of people every show), I'm not convinced at all. Trying it again this weekend. If it drops out, it's going back and I'm going with the Shure GLXD-16. My singer has one and has no problems at all. I just love all of the extra features the g70 has and I'm not willing to give them up yet... at least not until my 30-day return limit gets closer.

• 1 month later...

I experience drop outs too. So I try to update the firmware 1.3 to 1.5 directly to my mac laptop using with macOS 12.12.4 it didn't work. And so I went to my wife's iMac with the same MacOS 12.12.4 and try do the same update still didn't work. So I took it in to line6 in Calabasas California (head quarters) myself, when I got there told them that was experiencing dropouts (as we called taking a hit). I find out it was brorken USB in the receiver unit. I told them the USB is a poor design, they should have include the line 6 9V power adapter instead of the USB power cable. In which USB power cable is not road worthy! Cut to the chase.

Well the technicians repaired USB it and updated with firmware 1.5 . And was ready to pick up.

It two nice ladys they greeted me and got me my unit ( receiver in the transmiter) so I told them about the design flaw, so they went back and got the technician/designer I couldn't recall his name. For some reason he couldn't look me in my face and he just shined me on and told everything is ok fixed. This weekend I had a major show in Cancún, Mexico at sound check. Fired up the G70, it took all kind hits through all 16 channels it was a big disappointment. Thanks line6 for all most trusting in your product😬 In which it cost me a lot of money in time & travel. PS I have the video to prove it.