Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV poorly soldered piezos from factory

I had ordered some replacement piezos for my minty fresh JTV69 as the high E would not work after cleaning and holding its hand etc...

This AM I had some time and thought I would disassemble and investigate.

Found a barely soldered piezo with maybe one tiny wire barely hangin on lol!

stripped the wire a bit / tinned/ resoldered and It Works Perfectly.

so the moral of the story is even though it may look right you may try just resoldering before replacing these things.

Among the ways that the piezo itself can fail,...

-The element separating from the casing, causing lack of acoustical coupling.

-The element cleaving or cracking, resulting in lack of acousto-electric propagation.

-The wire internally separating from the element, resulting in lack of electric conductance.

I think after living with and really gigging this guitar I am finally understanding what it is and what it is for.

I just finished playing it just for fun for an hour.This is a damn fine instrument and the only thing that I struggle with is having to fire up my PC and my HD500 to edit with Workbench but man every time I do I get real usable results.I realize many here are playing their JTVs using an HD500 and an FRFR speaker monitors etc... and thats cool I do that when its called for but I highly recommend a really good tube amp and a pedal or two.The modeled guitars and tunings are unbelievable when played through a good reactive tube amp at volume.I am not having any plank/ clank/ plunk/ pluck or any other wierd noises.Just killer realistic models which will get me more gigging opportunities. To those of you who have a really good Marshall or two( I have three) you know that these amps will let you hear every fingernail scratch and are not forgiving if the guitar ot player is lazy/ sloppy or drunk lol! All of my working pro player buddies are looking for their own JTV now after hearing me play it. I may have to get another one so I am not crowning polishing frets every 3 months as I play out a lot.I have a Roland GK3 pickup on it so I can use my GR55 or GR20 with it. It is also an excellent synthesizer guitar!

I appreciate all here who have answered my questions and concerns about getting one.It is well worth it and will make my gigging life a lot more fun!

• Upvote 1

I may have to get another one so I am not crowning polishing frets every 3 months as I play out a lot.

It took several years, but I finally converted all my guitars to stainless frets. Should have done it 20 years ago. Would have saved me a small fortune in grind and polish jobs in the long run. Unless you're currently 20 years old and playing 28 hours a day/9 days a week, you'll probably drop dead before a set of stainless frets will need work. And bending strings is effortless. Regular frets feel like sand paper now.

I will no longer work on anyones stainless steel fretted guitars and they do need attention from time to time.

Too many of my files have been killed by Stainless Wire lol! Also I dont like the sound of stainless but yes for the player they have many benefits.For me I like to play different guitars and do this also so if some lucky feller decides to steal one of them its no big deal.I just grab another and keep on going! This time of year is when I spend evenings at my bench crowning/ polishing frets/ soldering changing pickups/ replacing parts/ installing LSR roller nuts/ etc... because of the beating my instruments take from April until New Years Eve.

I will be done with 6 or 7 of my guitars in time for spring.Hooray Beer!