Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Nylon/Spanish guitar and Bass

softget

With the combination of the Variax's down-tuning capabilities and the effects on the Helix, I imagine you could get a relatively convincing bass sound pretty easily. As far as a nylon string simulation, I don't know. You might be able to come up with some sort of emulation using a combination of IRs and effects. The Variax itself has never had an actual nylon string model. There was an actual nylon string Variax a while ago, though.

Glenn DeLaune sells an excellent nylon patch, and that coupled with some IRs of classical guitars you can find on the Internet I've created some great sounding tones.

As for the bass, a longer scaled guitar seems to help the tracking, but I've dropped some heavy guitar tones into bass territory with good results.

bass guitar sounds are ok with my old variax 500 - i think there was a separate model for acoustics in the old days a variax acoustic that had nylon.

Yep - also managed passable bass tones with my old Variax 600 model, although not tried yet with the JTV59, but it should be feasible. Plus I've still got my Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon from back in 2007 which has Spanish/Classical crossover nylon tones with a built in reverb system. Used as an extra studio tool.

Tech spec etc here:

http://uk.line6.com/legacy/variaxacoustic300nylon/

For a "decent" bass sound on Helix, I just used a standard guitar (strat neck pickup), pitch shift down an octave, into one of the bass amp and cab models, and maybe a slight amount of chorus. It works for me laying down a quick bass track when I am putting ideas together in my DAW.

Glenn DeLaune sells an excellent nylon patch, and that coupled with some IRs of classical guitars you can find on the Internet I've created some great sounding tones.

As for the bass, a longer scaled guitar seems to help the tracking, but I've dropped some heavy guitar tones into bass territory with good results.

I second this!