Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Record out Buzz

Guest Tri

Hello. I've seen these treads before but haven't gotten any answers.

My record line out, with headphones or plugged into my audio interface, has a buzz. I have moved the amp across the house and still has a buzz. This is happens with guitars plugged in and out. The volume nob doesn't effect it either.  

I have bought and replaced the amp thinking it was just broke. And have tried new power cords. 

What do I need to do to use my amp? I really love line 6 distortions. 

As psarkissian said, sounds like a ground loop issue. I assume you are using the Spider V 120 or 240? It sounds like you already have an interface, but consider trying the USB out to record direct from Spider V to your computer.

Hello. I've seen these treads before but haven't gotten any answers.

My record line out, with headphones or plugged into my audio interface, has a buzz. I have moved the amp across the house and still has a buzz. This is happens with guitars plugged in and out. The volume nob doesn't effect it either.  

I have bought and replaced the amp thinking it was just broke. And have tried new power cords. 

What do I need to do to use my amp? I really love line 6 distortions. 

You have a ground loop between your computer and the amp. You can check it by using a ground lifter (3 to 2 prong adapter) on the amp. That will most likely solve it. Be aware though, it isn't the safest way to operate, but usually there isn't a problem in a simple setup.

No,... don't ground lift at the amp's 3-pronge IEC cable. Dangerous!

Amps in general, don't take kindly to ground lifts on their 3-pronge AC inputs.

And it's dangerous for the guitar player if it's done wrong. You can get zapped

badly adjusting the volume control,... even with today's safe-guards.

Whatever the amp's audio is going into, the audio patch cable is acting like an antenna allowing all the noise in downstream.

Need to ground break at that point.