Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How would you guys go about replicating this tone?

Rocco_Crocco

I am speaking about the opening guitar part.

I can't get close on my own. Tried Soldano and a couple Fender models with various distortions, but there is an aspect of this sound I can't get. Can't describe it.

Does it sound like a humbucker in the bridge position?

Any advice? Care to try it yourselves?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQHtqUo3PzA

I heard a bridge position humbucker as well, so I used my LP with Classic 57s. I followed my ears (and not my research into Haynes' gear...) and went with the US Deluxe. I started with an existing patch that has that amp into a pair of Redwirez IRs in parallel: a 1x15 Supro Thunderbolt and a 2x12 Twin Reverb. I usually dial in a high cut at the cabs to tame fizz, but that's a big part of this tone I think so high cuts are off. I agree with cclement, definitely some fuzz going on, however the fuzz was taking too much of the punch and percussiveness out of the muted strings so I went with a parallel split in front of the amp: a Triangle Fuzz on one path and a Scream 808 on the other. The A/B split leans 50 clicks towards the Fuzz.  Here's how that sounds:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hj02gh0i61lcgw1/Mule.mp3?dl=0

I'm thinking it sounds pretty good, I like it enough that I'm going to save it, haha! I don't know if it will get as close as you're after but maybe it helps you along on the quest...

Settings:

Triangle Fuzz: Sustain 2.5, Tone 8.1 Level 6.9

Scream 808: Gain 1.0, Tone 7.1, Level 10

US Deluxe: Drive 5.6, Bass 4.5, Mid 6.8, Treble 7.0, Presence 0, Channel Volume: 8 (All page 2 stuff is stock)

I don't have my Helix just yet (it's on the truck as we speak).. but to my ear sounds like a Fuzz pedal or a input being overloaded. Maybe even a small amp being pushed into power amp saturation.

Based on your post, I tried running the champ into a Soldano and actually got much closer than I had before. I had a hard time getting the gain down enough so that it wouldn't be over-saturated without losing the hair. But pretty close.

• Upvote 1

I heard a bridge position humbucker as well, so I used my LP with Classic 57s. I followed my ears (and not my research into Haynes' gear...) and went with the US Deluxe. I started with an existing patch that has that amp into a pair of Redwirez IRs in parallel: a 1x15 Supro Thunderbolt and a 2x12 Twin Reverb. I usually dial in a high cut at the cabs to tame fizz, but that's a big part of this tone I think so high cuts are off. I agree with cclement, definitely some fuzz going on, however the fuzz was taking too much of the punch and percussiveness out of the muted strings so I went with a parallel split in front of the amp: a Triangle Fuzz on one path and a Scream 808 on the other. The A/B split leans 50 clicks towards the Fuzz.  Here's how that sounds:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hj02gh0i61lcgw1/Mule.mp3?dl=0

I'm thinking it sounds pretty good, I like it enough that I'm going to save it, haha! I don't know if it will get as close as you're after but maybe it helps you along on the quest...

Settings:

Triangle Fuzz: Sustain 2.5, Tone 8.1 Level 6.9

Scream 808: Gain 1.0, Tone 7.1, Level 10

US Deluxe: Drive 5.6, Bass 4.5, Mid 6.8, Treble 7.0, Presence 0, Channel Volume: 8 (All page 2 stuff is stock)

Sounds great. Very close. I'm going to try it.

I always liked the unique guitar tone on that song and just wanted to see if the Helix could do it. I am really not much for nailing an exact sound for my bar cover band, as long as it sounds good, it doesn't need to be exact. In this case, however, I thought it would be a fun challenge to try to replicate this sound.

Based on your post, I tried running the champ into a Soldano and actually got much closer than I had before. I had a hard time getting the gain down enough so that it wouldn't be over-saturated without losing the hair. But pretty close.

Running an amp into another amp.. nice idea! Man.. coming from the HD500X world... I'm going to have to open my mind to all sorts of new routing possibilities when my Helix gets here.

If you run a Champ before another amp, does that make it a pre-champ? (Sound of crickets.....)

That sounds really cool, wouldn't have thunk it. I do love this machine!