Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 high pitched overtone.

Sacco_Belmonte

I've connected the XLR out directly into my interface.

While the G10 is pretty clean overall, no hum. Still has a high pitched tone around the 15khz area. Mostly noticeable on high gain settings.

DId anyone else noticed it?

Is not the first time I noticed this on digital gear BTW. Is it something absolutely inherent to the technology?

• 4 weeks later...

No. If I use a cable I don't hear the overtone (although the G10 kills most of the hum, which is good) You can hear the overtone in this video, at the beginning and the end.

I mean, is not a big deal but is there.

Can you confirm you have it or not on yours?

I tried turning off my WIFI and other devices that could be generating EMI but nothing really changed.

I'm more inclined to think this is a common thing in digital gear (I don't know why they use such lollipop DA converters), as it happens in all my other digital pedals (although the overtones are different) such as my G5, A3, MT100BT and Boss RC3.

The funny thing is (and the reason I think DA converters are lollipop on these things) is that if I record from my G5 (using a cable) directly to the PC using ASIO I have no overtones and the sound is pristine.

I don't have any high pitched tones when using G10. Does it happen to you on a particular guitar, or does it happen using all guitars? Some people were having issues with piezo based system creating a high pitched tone through G10. 

It happens with all of them. Is not so bad, is only when using high gain presets.

BTW: Line 6 Staff....thanks for your bread and butter answer. That's the kind of stuff that makes me mad over corporations.

I said I turned off everything around to try to pinpoint the cause of the high pitched sound. Honestly I believe is in the unit itself as many digital guitar gear has this same exact problem cause you cheapen out on the DA converters. How hard was to put a SPDIF out or make the unit ASIO compatible?

Have a nice day.

Honestly I believe is in the unit itself as many digital guitar gear has this same exact problem cause you cheapen out on the DA converters. How hard was to put a SPDIF out or make the unit ASIO compatible?

Have a nice day.

There's a balance of targeted customers, available features, and price. They could have added loads of communication protocols and high resolution converters, but then it wouldn't be the cheapest wireless on the market. 

"BTW: Line 6 Staff....thanks for your bread and butter answer. That's the kind of stuff that makes me mad over corporations"---

The link was just a starting point. A number of people out there are still unaware of that. Have to start somewhere, then work our

way from there.

It is a High Res DAC. Some else is at play in the signal chain. Being that the tone is at 15kHz, it is a multiple of the sampling frequency,

so my first suspicion is that there is a loose ground point in the analog signal chain. That would allow the sample clock to fold back into

the audio band. This sort of thing can occur with "mixed signal devices".

Well, a firestudio project costs around 350 Euro. And has 8 high quality pres and high quality DA converters too. Also SPDIF and ASIO.

At half that price the G10 has only 1.....and you tell me they couldn't make it better?

Apples and oranges.

We're lucky enough to have psarkissian the service engineer creeping the forums with his input on this issue. If anyone can figure out the issue (over a social media forum), he can.