Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix needs a Tweed Twin...

GazzaBloom

Hey all

FWIW ..... my Helix is still  "on its way"  :) ..... but I had one for a ~ 6 weeks to compare to my Axe and Kemper .... no secrets what I thought there ... :) .... but  in my Axe and KPA  I  mainly run British "toned"  amps ...... 2204, Plexi. AC30, DC30, Hiwatt   etc.... 

In the last week or two when I was messing with the Helix, it was suggested to me to try the  58 Fender Bassman  5F6-A  model.

Now Ive  NEVER  been a fan of  old Fenders ..... I always found them to sound  very boxy and  too-focused ... but this amp ..... serioulsy ..... it was a revelation ..... it gained-up and cranked-up  just right and wait for it ... it actually "chimed" ....... go figure !!!

I dont know if it sounds anything like the specific Fenders you are referring to, but its a freakin joy to play ...... not often an amp puts a smile on your face as soon as you hit the first chord :)

Ben

yes i tried the bassman another time and found it a bit not to my liking but after watching a youtube video about them i thought i'd come back to it and give it a bit of tweaking.. now it sounds great!

I had a similar experience with the Deluxe. I tried it when I first got the unit and wasn't impressed, didn't touch it again for a while. Just tried it again recently and suddenly it's one of my favorites!

Yes, I dialled up the Bassman recently, having ignored it as the PODHD version sounded awful and I was pleasantly surprised. I played it loud through a Yamaha DXR10 and dialled it with my R8 Les Paul against a Joe Bonamassa live clip where he is playing a single Tweed Twin and got pretty close. It sounds great. I put a Minotaur in front just boosting it slightly and to add a little upper mid range and carve off a little low end. Great tone. Might try and find some Tweed era IRs to try with it.