Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External Amp Question

musicimpossible

I have an Orange Micro Terror connected to a 1X12" Celestion. Incredible sound which creates the sustain that I need while recording. What I would like to do is :

1) record a wet track in Pro Tools using my Helix (that is easy)

2) send a dry signal out of my Helix into the Orange so that I can take advantage of the sustain. 

If I use the 1/4 inch out on the back of my Helix into the guitar in of the Orange - the signal is a wet Helix signal which is not a good thing coming out of the Celestion.

The Orange has 1 INPUT for guitar - 1 our for the cab / speaker - and a small Aux In - like a small headphone plug that is used to connect to Mp3 players / laptops etc.

Edit to my first post. I have created a 2nd path in Helix which is dry. Then connected a TS cable from the 1/4 inch out of the Helix to the Orange. On the 2nd path I have I guitar selected as input  and 1/4 as the out. 1st path is guitar in to SPDIF out to my DAW interface (that is fine)

I am getting a lot of noise out of the 14 inch to the Orange which is coming out of the Celestion. I think the Orange is not effected by the 1st path (Hiwatt selected) as I hear the Hiwatt through my DAW monitors. I do hear the Orange is working as should but a lot of noise from the Helix. Any thoughts?

If you're going into the Orange's guitar input from the Helix, even if it's a dry signal it's a pre-amped dry signal from the Helix which is well above the normal input range of a guitar port.  Additionally, the signal is then being routed through the Micro Terror's pre-amp stage and then it's amplifier stage, so you're dealing with a double pre-amped signal.  I'd be surprised if you DIDN'T have a lot of noise.

Probably the easiest way to accomplish what you want is to take a second signal wet or dry out of the Helix into an FRFR powered speaker and get your sustain off of that.

Thx Dunedin, would an Orange amp with an effects loop in the back work?

Edit: just watched this video and he has his helix hooked up to an amp just as I did with no unwanted noise. Check it out stay ring at about 2:10 into the video.

Edited by musicimpossible

Thx Dunedin, would an Orange amp with an effects loop in the back work?

Edit: just watched this video and he has his helix hooked up to an amp just as I did with no unwanted noise. Check it out stay ring at about 2:10 into the video.

Any thoughts here ?? I have read in other posts and replies here that the Helix will always be noisy when coming out of the 1/4 in out in the back with a dry signal to an external amp/speaker cab or combo amp. As I stated - the video he shows above starting at about 2:10 using the 4CM indicates no noise at all. Not happening for me with the same setup?