Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Controlling H9 Performance Switch via Midi

cacibi

Posting this in case it's helpful to anyone...took me most of the day to find a workaround 1f642.png:-)

I was trying to figure out how to use MIDI CC from the Helix to control the Performance Switch in the Rotary Algo on my Eventide H9. I could set up a MIDI CC toggle switch and map it to the Performance Switch function, but when I do that - instead of mimicking the Performance Switch 100% (Fast/Slow; hold for Brake) it would only toggle between Fast and Break.

BUT - if you assign an expression pedal as MIDI CC controller to the performance switch...it works. Toe down is brake and heel down toggles between Slow/Fast. You can use Min Value 0 and Max Value 127 for full range, but it seems to feel a little better to me if you set the closest possible max/min values for on/of (63 & 64).

What David Lynch would call a "happy accident" because I kind of like working it with the expression pedal better than hitting a switch. A little more like a real Leslie.

Now...you might ask, why not just assign max/min rotor speeds to the expression pedal and skip the performance switch function altogether? Because it doesn't ramp when you do that. I just glides in between fast and slow and in a rather un-Leslie-like way.

• 1 month later...

Posting this in case it's helpful to anyone...took me most of the day to find a workaround 1f642.png:-)

I was trying to figure out how to use MIDI CC from the Helix to control the Performance Switch in the Rotary Algo on my Eventide H9. I could set up a MIDI CC toggle switch and map it to the Performance Switch function, but when I do that - instead of mimicking the Performance Switch 100% (Fast/Slow; hold for Brake) it would only toggle between Fast and Break.

BUT - if you assign an expression pedal as MIDI CC controller to the performance switch...it works. Toe down is brake and heel down toggles between Slow/Fast. You can use Min Value 0 and Max Value 127 for full range, but it seems to feel a little better to me if you set the closest possible max/min values for on/of (63 & 64).

What David Lynch would call a "happy accident" because I kind of like working it with the expression pedal better than hitting a switch. A little more like a real Leslie.

Now...you might ask, why not just assign max/min rotor speeds to the expression pedal and skip the performance switch function altogether? Because it doesn't ramp when you do that. I just glides in between fast and slow and in a rather un-Leslie-like way.

This does indeed work. I would love to be able to just use the performance switch(properly) with a button on the H9. Guess nobody has figured this out?

• 3 months later...

This post was a while ago I know...but thought I'd jump in since just bought a H9...just because I'm crazy and needed something new to play with!. Anyway I also couldn't get midi perf switch to work correctly. Found a post on the Eventide web site..which does work but is a little weird. Using a midi toggle...and dim to 0 and lit to 127. (Think i have those right..if not reverse them) You have to double tab the button quick to toggle fast/slow. Just pressing activates the brake. So maybe I'll just stay with the MXR tap pedal for perf switch. Save the helix switches.

The performance switch is actually not a physical switch on the outside of H9..the only way to activate it is the app..midi..or analog switch..I'm using a MXR tap pedal.

I found this on the Eventide website that explains it perfectly....

If, via cc, I send 127 then 0 right away...it flips to slow. Then back to fast if I do the same ... 127 then 0. This I call a TAP of a midi cc button in gate mode..not toggle. On/off. Because in gate mode it sends 127 when I press, and 0 when I release.

If I HOLD that same switch, sending just 127....it goes to BRAKE mode..just while I am holding it. When I release...it sends 0, and brake mode is released.

This is normal function...identical to my analog aux switch mapped to the performance switch.

Also reminiscent of traditional Leslie controls on a Hammond organ.

The key is sending the right cc signals.

Your need for a double tap is because your switch is in TOGGLE mode, instead of an on/off gate mode..which is a limitation of some controllers...namely the Helix, as I understand.

...still love the helix after 1.5 years...H9 is just a great addition. Thanks you for this forum!