Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshots Improvement

brue58ski

One ability I would love to have is to be able to assign every parameter of, for example, an EQ with one click instead of having to go through every parameter and assign them one at a time. I'll be putting it on ideascale.

I'd like to see that feature as well. I had an idea that included this suggestion submitted before they added the one-click assignment in the Editor. It couldn't hurt to have it broken out in to a separate idea now though. https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Assign-parameter-to-snapshot-with-click-in-Editor/833883-23508

I'd like to see that feature as well. I had an idea that included this suggestion submitted before they added the one-click assignment in the Editor. It couldn't hurt to have it broken out in to a separate idea now though. https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Assign-parameter-to-snapshot-with-click-in-Editor/833883-23508

I gave it a plus vote.

Maybe I misunderstood the original post.  But a parameter adjustment to one snapshot 'is' automatically assigned to every other snapshot already.  Any change you make to a parameter of any effect/amp/cab/IR/etc in one snapshot is automatically applied to all the other snaps as long as you don't press 'down' on the parameter knob when making the change.

Sorry, I think I get what my confusion was about. We're talking about a 'Global' setting for all effects - not just within a single preset. If that is in fact the case, I agree 100%.

I think the OP was referring to the ability to be able to take for example the 10 band graphic EQ block and with one click assign all the bands in the EQ to snapshots. The same would apply to any other Helix block, for instance assigning all the parameters for an amp block to snapshots with one click. Right now each parameter in a block must be assigned one by one although that assignment does, as you point out, apply to all the snapshots in the preset. This "one-click, all parameters in the block" capability could be done at the preset level on the Helix and/or the Editor and would not require a global setting. There would simply be an additional option to assign all the parameters in the block to snapshots at one time.

I think the OP was referring to the ability to be able to take for example the 10 band graphic EQ block and with one click assign all the bands in the EQ to snapshots. The same would apply to any other Helix block, for instance assigning all the parameters for an amp block to snapshots with one click. Right now each parameter in a block must be assigned one by one although that assignment does, as you point out, apply to all the snapshots in the preset. This "one-click, all parameters in the block" capability could be done at the preset level on the Helix and/or the Editor and would not require a global setting. There would simply be an additional option to assign all the parameters in the block to snapshots at one time.

Yes. What he said.

One ability I would love to have is to be able to assign every parameter of, for example, an EQ with one click instead of having to go through every parameter and assign them one at a time. I'll be putting it on ideascale.

given you still have to reach for the knob to edit why is pushing the knob once such a big deal....its so fast and simple I cant see why you think this is a problem?

given you still have to reach for the knob to edit why is pushing the knob once such a big deal....its so fast and simple I cant see why you think this is a problem?

I don't know why you can't. If I have ten things to assign to snapshots from one block like the 10 band EQ, I have to push a knob a lot more than once. Pushing a knob once isn't a big deal. That's what I would like to do. Now I have to push it a lot more than once. If you don't get why clicking/pushing once instead of 20 times (since you have to select and then assign each band, at a minimum) would not be desirable, I don't know what else to tell you. But whatever. I guess I don't really care if you don't see why it's a problem. I do and so do others. If it's not a problem for you great. And just as a point of reference, I'm using the Helix editor program and not programming from the unit. That's why I originally used the word click instead of push. My apologies for any confusion.

You are correct that the one click assignment method is fast and simple and was quite an excellent implementation. I have found however that once you start using snapshots consistently to design your presets there are certain blocks such as the 10 band graphic EQ and the amp and cab parameters as well as some assorted other blocks where I assign either all or almost all of the parameters to snapshots. This means not an extra click or two but many extra clicks. As you pointed out, not incredibly difficult with the current snapshot assignment shortcut but you can't help but look at for example the ten clicks required for the GEQ block and not think that it would be nice to be able to assign them all at one time.

For some blocks it would be easier just to "assign all" and then unassign the one or two you may not want controlled by snapshots. By way of a rough analogy if you wanted an entire paragraph in Word to be in bold you would not want to have to go to each word and bold it, you want to just highlight the section and hit the 'Bold' button once. I don't see this so much as a "problem" that needs to be fixed but just a convenient and probably not too difficult or time consuming enhancement to the code to make snapshot setup faster.  One thing that does mitigate this a bit is I have some templates I have created that serve as a starting point for my presets that already have an assortment of parameters that I always assign to snapshots already set up.

Another thing that would be helpful along these lines is of changing to a different amp kept your current settings, as best as possible, including controller assignments. Obviously some parameters don't exist in all amps, even more so in stomps and FX, and even if they do exist the same settings can have radically different effects, but I'd still like that option. Keeping controller assignments would be flat out better IMO.

Some sort of a Favorties system for Helix to remember a user's preferred configuration of parameter value settings for a Block would be very userful!

This would be aside from using Snapshots or saving a Template Preset.

Currently, when selected from the Block menu, a Block comes in to the Preset (being edited) with all of that Block's parameters set to Factory Default values. If Helix remembered a users last "Favorited" configuration of that Block's parameters, users would no longer be forced to always begin from scratch with every Block.

Perhaps the memory capacity of one of the SetLists could be repurposed to more effectively provide a logical and practical method to save, contain, recall Block Favorites, (than otherwise going through the mechanism of saving (up to 128) single Block Template presets).

Any implemented method should be fully suppored directly on-board HELIX w/o the need of using the Editor.

I seem to recollect reading something akin to this on ideascale months ago. However, ideascale is difficult to search to finding a post. Perhaps some else has more specific recall. If this has not been posted, I can post this to ideascale to see how well it may be embraced.

Found the pre-existing ideascale post. Here it is to vote for, if desired.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Save-block-parameters-independently-from-patch/753643-23508

Yep, voted for this one a while ago. Being able to save your own customized blocks would be great for a number of reasons and if the snapshot assignment settings saved with it that would be a great way to address the "assign all" request. The only challenge with "assign all parms in block"  with assignment settings being saved with custom blocks or in general is if that block for instance causes your preset to exceed the limit of 64 parameters assigned to snapshots. I guess the Helix would have to kick back a message or have that block grayed out if it would exceed that limit.