Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I bet you cannot get this tone

itsslash

The chorus was very close, well done.

The verse on the other hand, I'll settle on calling it mediocre.

Considering that Andy Summers was most likely using the exact same signal chain for both the chorus and the verse (I can't hear any real tone deviation that could be attributed to an amp or pedal) I would say Aex that your so called mediocrity of the verse comes down to the fact that your playing style differs from Andy's. I think you've done it. Well done sir! Carry on and back to bacon and Phillip K. lollipop.

Considering that Andy Summers was most likely using the exact same signal chain for both the chorus and the verse (I can't hear any real tone deviation that could be attributed to an amp or pedal) I would say Aex that your so called mediocrity of the verse comes down to the fact that your playing style differs from Andy's. I think you've done it. Well done sir! Carry on and back to bacon and Phillip K. lollipop.

The tone is completely different between the verse and chorus, and if anything, this take proves it. I doubt even the layering and harmonies make that much of a difference. No doubt Andy used a different signal chain and this could explain why it was never replicated live.

• Downvote 2

Alright, so that's 1 and a half thumbs-ups, and 0 thumbs down. Pretty good so far.

I suggest the bill. It may be the toughest part of the hat, but the most flavorful

Unfortunately for you, I only care about the verse.

Good point. I think I'll bail on checking this thread out when the new update occurs. Until then, maybe the monkey will dance one more time.

Count me in on that. I'm gonna be busy having fun.

Hey, thanks. So you'll eat half a hat then?

Oh nooooooo, it's futile! Nothing you do will make this fixated Bozo happy. Just keep prodding him with sticks!

The tone is completely different between the verse and chorus, and if anything, this take proves it. I doubt even the layering and harmonies make that much of a difference. No doubt Andy used a different signal chain and this could explain why it was never replicated live.

Dude, you must have the ability to detect minor sonic shifts that are usually only heard by dogs and bats. Therefore I must deduce that you are not who you claim to be, but are actually the world renowned master of studio production - Alan Parsons! He's the only person I can imagine with those powers. Oh, maybe you're one of the X Men?

Unfortunately for you, I only care about the verse.

That wasn't part of the deal though. Thus whole time you've been wanting the general tone and there it is.

Everyone's waiting for you to eat your hat.

I think everyone here agrees

Dude, you must have the ability to detect minor sonic shifts that are usually only heard by dogs and bats. Therefore I must deduce that you are not who you claim to be, but are actually the world renowned master of studio production - Alan Parsons! He's the only person I can imagine with those powers. Oh, maybe you're one of the X Men?

I'm guessing it's Batman.

Excellent.  If anyone needs me I'll be on the 17th floor, caulking the tiles in the second bathroom of the fifth master bedroom. 

Big deal.  I'll bet you can't replicate the tiles in Andy Summers' bathroom.

Big deal.  I'll bet you can't replicate the tiles in Andy Summers' bathroom.

It's a little known fact that the song was originally titled "Message From the Bathroom" and was about the perils of not checking the TP roll before getting down to business. I think he actually recorded it in the bathroom, which contributed to the unique tone.

It's a little known fact that the song was originally titled "Message From the Bathroom" and was about the perils of not checking the TP roll before getting down to business. I think he actually recorded it in the bathroom, which contributed to the unique tone.

Makes sense, it does have the distinct reverb decay that you only get from a room with an Italian marble vanity and covered floor to ceiling in tiny 1"X1" tiles in alternating colors of the blue, green and grey.

Makes sense, it does have the distinct reverb decay that you only get from a room with an Italian marble vanity and covered floor to ceiling in tiny 1"X1" tiles in alternating colors of the blue, green and grey.

Yup. Tone is in the mosaic. ;)

Personally, I find that if there's too many of the little blue tiles, the reverb sounds a bit "tinny"...and don't even get me started on where and how it was quarried. ;)

Side note: there's actually a place called the Crotch Island Granite Quarry, in Maine. Can't imagine why Crotch Island isn't a vacation hotspot...must smell great during the summer months.

Yup. Tone is in the mosaic. ;)

Personally, I find that if there's too many of the little blue tiles, the reverb sounds a bit "tinny"...and don't even get me started on where and how it was quarried. ;)

Side note: there's actually a place called the Crotch Island Granite Quarry, in Maine. Can't imagine why Crotch Island isn't a vacation hotspot...must smell great during the summer months.

Crotch Island, I think I watched that on Red Tube.

• Upvote 1

Don't worry, I'm sure OP is seasoning his hat with salt as we speak

We should add that reverb update to ideascale..

That wasn't part of the deal though. Thus whole time you've been wanting the general tone and there it is.

Everyone's waiting for you to eat your hat.

I think everyone here agrees

There was no deal, I just forgot to mention that I only care about the verse. Now you know. Your attempt on the verse sucked.

• Downvote 2

There was no deal, I just forgot to mention that I only care about the verse. Now you know. Your attempt on the verse sucked.

Wow, what a bitter little lollipop. He/she finally gets what he/she's after and can't gracefully accept defeat and eat a hat. Is it because you don't have one? I'm sure the community will be able to pitch in and provide you with one.

But the tone was there. Multiple people agree. I win. It's okay not everyone's a winner.

You're too scared to do more work on the verse because you know it is impossible to replicate. I look forward to you trying though, and perhaps you should, because you will really "win" if you do it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You're too scared to do more work on the verse because you know it is impossible to replicate. I look forward to you trying though, and perhaps you should, because you will really "win" if you do it.

The only difference is that I didn't multi track it playing all the different parts, which technically wasn't the aim here. The aim was the tone, which has been nailed, agreed upon, and hat-food-worthy.

I know defeat is hard to admit, but everything takes time. You wont loose any more respect when you finally do because, like your dignity, you have not a shred of it left.

See how easy it is to get a monkey to dance. No no no, don't worry honey, he can't really bite you. He'll bang around his cage and make a little bit of noise. But that's the fun of watching a monkey. Let's see if someone can get him to dance some more.

You guys are really missing the ABC of trolling management. Not good move on feed him...now you are again left holding the bag. He's pretty good on his job. :)

I personally am holding no bag. It's fun to watch how easily this monkey can be made to dance.

....said the guy whos biggest priority is running to an internet thread each day attempting to derail it lol. I see a lot of dancing monkeys, but the OP is very last on that list.

Not sure this thread can be derailed... You do realize that the OP has posted essentially the same thread here three times and at least once over on the Fractal forums? Several people have gone out of their way to meet his challenge, but he doesn't really seem interested in an actual answer. I'm not really sure why anyone should feel compelled to spend time on the question anymore.

The only difference is that I didn't multi track it playing all the different parts, which technically wasn't the aim here. The aim was the tone, which has been nailed, agreed upon, and hat-food-worthy.

I know defeat is hard to admit, but everything takes time. You wont loose any more respect when you finally do because, like your dignity, you have not a shred of it left.

No one cares about your excuses. Your attempt on the verse sucked. It sounded so bad I had to turn it off before it finished. Come back to me when you've actually managed to achieve it, peasant.

• Downvote 1

....said the guy whos biggest priority is running to an internet thread each day attempting to derail it lol. I see a lot of dancing monkeys, but the OP is very last on that list.

Isn't that the truth. Don't worry about brue, he's on the verge of popping a blood vessel and it's quite entertaining to watch him cover it up with his repetition.