Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as effects pedal

bubba871x

I have some presets built specifically for this purpose. Hook it up using 4 cable method. Compressor/wah/OD/distortion in front of the amp, and all the time based stuff and EQ in the loop. It is FANTASTIC and you will be hard pressed to hear the difference from the modeled effects as opposed to the "real thing."

Now you can set up multiple presets using the same concept, but you have multiple custom pedal boards with just a click of a foot switch. 

I have replicated my far too large pedal board within the Helix, using my DT25 head and cab with the 4 cable method. Honestly it took about 20 minutes to do, so simple.

I brought my Hovercraft Falcon 50 head home to make sure what I had replicated carried over to that head. I was amazed at how clearer my effects sounded and the overall presence of my amp was brighter.

At rehearsal last night I was able to open it up out of my 6x12 cab, my band mate's heads snapped back at how clear and present it was. We are a loud band that plays in C Standard, so I was weary that the lower register would be muddy. In reality, I think the patch cables in my pedal board (even though I have an ES-8 looper) were sucking tone.

I have a bit of tweaking to do with the reverbs, they seem to kill the bottom end a bit too much and some general levels, but overall I am glad I made the switch and look forward to less problematic gigs.

I have replicated my far too large pedal board within the Helix, using my DT25 head and cab with the 4 cable method. Honestly it took about 20 minutes to do, so simple.

I brought my Hovercraft Falcon 50 head home to make sure what I had replicated carried over to that head. I was amazed at how clearer my effects sounded and the overall presence of my amp was brighter.

At rehearsal last night I was able to open it up out of my 6x12 cab, my band mate's heads snapped back at how clear and present it was. We are a loud band that plays in C Standard, so I was weary that the lower register would be muddy. In reality, I think the patch cables in my pedal board (even though I have an ES-8 looper) were sucking tone.

I have a bit of tweaking to do with the reverbs, they seem to kill the bottom end a bit too much and some general levels, but overall I am glad I made the switch and look forward to less problematic gigs.

Try running the reverb on a parallel path instead of in series.

Try running the reverb on a parallel path instead of in series.

If I had a Serial path 1 (no parallel on it) that was full and I had a Volume pedal on 2, my amps effects loop then a looper, where could I put the reverb in parallel?

I also have a delay and two reverb instances in the amp effects loop, so the main reverb is the one I'd like to see if I can run in parallel some how.

Makes sense?

Thanks,

Bill

If I had a Serial path 1 (no parallel on it) that was full and I had a Volume pedal on 2, my amps effects loop then a looper, where could I put the reverb in parallel?

I also have a delay and two reverb instances in the amp effects loop, so the main reverb is the one I'd like to see if I can run in parallel some how.

Makes sense?

Thanks,

Bill

Can a post a pic of the screen of your preset?

Can a post a pic of the screen of your preset?

Here's a screenshot of the preset. I'm sure there's a better way of laying it out, but this is my first week of owning the Helix.

HelixBMPatch.jpg

I'm not sure I see a way to get the Reverb in a parallel path given that I have it in my effects loop. I put it in the first path and wow what a volume drop. Also this is running in 4 cable, just to reiterate. 

Thanks,

Looks like everything up to your volume block is running into the front end of your amp. Then you are running two paths into your effects loop, a "dry" path and a wet path with your delay and reverbs. You are already running reverbs in parallel. 

Looks like everything up to your volume block is running into the front end of your amp. Then you are running two paths into your effects loop, a "dry" path and a wet path with your delay and reverbs. You are already running reverbs in parallel.

Kind of. It's the basic 4 cable method. Time based effects are in the amp effects loop and the rest are in frying of it. I'm still taking a huge hit from the reverb. Especially when I'm on a dirty channel on the amp.

Thanks for looking and giving advice!

Bill

I am not sure what sound you are trying to achieve, but I generally run my delays and reverbs in parallel. I don't like losing definition in sound when running a delay into reverb. I also don't have the mix on the delays more than about 40%, and generally run them about 20-25% mix. 

I also do not put a low cut in the reverb blocks, but generally run the high cut in all reverbs at about 1kHz. This tames a lot of the shrill in the top end. I generally set the mix somewhere around 20-40% when they are in parallel with a delay. 

I attached a quick sketch of how I would try running what you have in Path A, so this is essentially the stuff in your effects loop. 

Even though Helix is very easy and intuitive to use, knowing how effects react with one another is not. Since it is so easy to run effects in so many non-conventional ways, our sounds/tones can get way off pretty quickly. 

post-2402848-0-45502100-1488289727_thumb.jpg

I am not sure what sound you are trying to achieve, but I generally run my delays and reverbs in parallel. I don't like losing definition in sound when running a delay into reverb. I also don't have the mix on the delays more than about 40%, and generally run them about 20-25% mix. 

I also do not put a low cut in the reverb blocks, but generally run the high cut in all reverbs at about 1kHz. This tames a lot of the shrill in the top end. I generally set the mix somewhere around 20-40% when they are in parallel with a delay. 

I attached a quick sketch of how I would try running what you have in Path A, so this is essentially the stuff in your effects loop. 

Even though Helix is very easy and intuitive to use, knowing how effects react with one another is not. Since it is so easy to run effects in so many non-conventional ways, our sounds/tones can get way off pretty quickly. 

I see what you mean now. Moving the delay and pitch blocks up and keeping the reverbs in the parallel path below makes sense. Thanks again and I'll be trying this when I get home from work!