Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix to follow Pro Tools tempo

Bangha

Hey Helixians!

Quick question for you. I am in the process of recording a new album and would love for my tremolo to sync up to pro tools as there are tempo changes throughout the song. Can this be achieved? If so, how? My mind is mush.

Thanks for your help

I use Reaper, so I'm not familiar with how you'd go about sending midi info to Helix from Pro Tools, but you can do this with snapshots. Set the global "Tempo Select" to per snapshot and make some snapshots with different tempos. When you want to change tempo, send Helix CC69, 0-7.

There's other ways to do this, but I think they are currently broken, or at least one of them is.

Helix doesn't currently have MIDI clock sync, but it will once the 2.20 firmware is released something within the next month.

Triggering snapshot changes with the tempo changes in each snapshot as mentioned above is a decent workaround for now. It depends on how tight you need to have the syncing. The Helix's tempo would still be from its internal clock this way, so it won't necessarily match exactly with Pro Tools, and beyond that the LFO won't be aligned with anything. That might not matter, though, depending on the type of music you're recording.

Helix doesn't currently have MIDI clock sync, but it will once the 2.20 firmware is released something within the next month.

Triggering snapshot changes with the tempo changes in each snapshot as mentioned above is a decent workaround for now. It depends on how tight you need to have the syncing. The Helix's tempo would still be from its internal clock this way, so it won't necessarily match exactly with Pro Tools, and beyond that the LFO won't be aligned with anything. That might not matter, though, depending on the type of music you're recording.

I'm using the workaround now, and while it works, it's imperfect and a bit unpredictable for how I'm using it, not sure why. I think what you mentioned about the the LFO, or being able to reset its cycle, would be more what I'm looking for. Hope there's something in works for that.

Is there a preliminary release notes doc that shows all the fixes that will be included with 2.20?  Can we see it?

It's at the beginning of the 2.20 thread, but DI said that Lfo reset is not implemented, and I haven't been able to understand if this is going to be addressed or not, even having asked.

If not, clock sync is pretty unuseful, as we can already use snapshots, as previously stated.

No precise info that I know of, sorry..