Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix is damn nice but this...,

spikey

Damn. It must be nice to be able to get a guitar custom made like that for yourself. The one available to buy for the everyday, non-godlike person certainly is nowhere near the quality of the one shown in the video. It's still a nice guitar though.

Heh glad to see that this model of guitar (Woody) actually went on tour with him. I noticed that the spring plate on the guitar he held up (with the replaced neck pup) had a different one versus the one that was installed on the built guitar above, so I'm betting that they are different guitars, and that would make sense. I wouldn't take that Jem they built above on tour either.

The prototype made in the OP video has an Edge trem; the one directly above appears to be a production version (having the Edge Zero 2 trem) and that replaced pickup is a sustainer unit, as featured on most of his main performance instruments for many years now.

A custom, hand-made guitar is worth EVERY penny.  Mine are made by the master Neal Moser.   I also believe you should get a custom made pair of boots (Tony Murga) and if you are into that sort of thing a Tux, but those are for a different topic.

Seriously, I really have a hard time justifying any "production" made guitar in or above the $3000 mark.  I'm sure they are fine instruments, but that's well within custom hand-made territory for which there is no comparison.  

Well, if you can find a sweet looking not beat up Gibson Les Paul Standard for 1600.00 or less (I actually did) then hats off to you. It does happen, but not very often.

Otherwise there's nothing wrong with an SE or Epi... Or even a Gibson SG. Awesome guitar for around 1300 or so new. What I liked about the Jem however, is that is so damn different looking (to me) than the rest of them, in a good way.