Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-89F Neck Profile and Fretboard Radius

Hi Newbie here,

I did a search but came up blank and there's precious little technical information available on the Line 6 Variax web pages. Does anyone know the neck profile and fretboard radius of the 2017 JTV-89F? I have found discussions where there aren't too many options if you don't like the neck save for putting the guitar in the hands of a competent luthier. Thanks in advance...

^^^ Ditto ^^^

I'm in the same boat, looking to purchase one too just don't want to send it back due to an uncomfortable neck profile. I've found conflicting information, some complaining the neck is wide and thick but has three mounting holes, all the images I've found show four mounting holes. Has the neck changed on the 89?

I've been told that the 89 neck is thin, but not as thin as an Ibenez Wizard neck. I've never played a Wizard and I don't see any specs for that neck on the Ibenez site. So that doesn't help much.

Actual measurements really help me, because I measure all of my guitars and that lets me compare specs to what I have.

As far as width of the neck. That would be controlled by the nut size, unless the neck widens from the nut as you go up. So 1.75" would normally be the largest for a six string, which works out to 44mm. Most of my necks are at 42, 43mm. So I don't think the width is going to concern me too much.

My JTV69 neck was kind of chunky. I changed it out for a Warmouth Standard Thin profile and I like it very much. Unfortunately the 89 neck can't be changed out for a Warmouth.

Thanks, psarkissian. A lot of good info there. 16" radius is certainly flat enough. You don't happen to know the depth at the 1st and 12th frets, do you?

My slimmest neck is my EBMM JP15: .717" @ 1st fret, .759" @ 12th fret.

My Warmouth Standard Thin is: .813" @ 1st fret, .861" @ 12th fret. This makes the Warmouth a little thinner than most of my medium profile guitars, but not as super thin as my JP15.

I could probably live with something in between these two neck profiles.

Thanks psarkissian,

I spoke w/Jelena in Tech Support earlier who emailed me that same link. Yeah that makes for a pretty thick neck that is definitely flat across the board. Was really hoping for a profile along the lines of a Fender Strat w/Modern C profile and a compound FB radius of 10" - 16". I'll have to order it and see if my Luthier can work his magic otherwise it'll have to be returned, sadly I wasn't blessed w/OEM long fingers. I could make or have made a completely custom neck though, if the modeling lives up to the hype I'd be selling a lot of guitars for recording so the budget would exist for a custom neck. All things yet to be determined. Thanks again, your customer support ROCKS!!!

"You're not including the fret wire are you?"--- No.

"I'm having a hard time believing there isn't a mistake with those measurements. That would be baseball bat size, not "fast and flat"----

Those are the specs. There may be some slight variation of tolerance from guitar to guitar as would be expected, as they are not perfect clones. And it's wood, so it breathes, along with the way its set-up is done. I have four JTV's, they each have a feel specific to its own. 

Glockster,... yeah, being the JTV/Standard guy here,... Jelena double checked a couple things with me earlier about that.

specracer986,... I would think the width would play a role too. Not sure what Tyler's width-to-depth ratio design criteria was at the time.

I appreciate the info psarkissian, even though it has left me a bit perplexed. I've seen several times where the 89 was described as having a slim neck. I know there will be variations with the actual necks, but normally the measurements are a good baseline to work off of. I'm really surprised that they are this beefy.

I'm with you on this one specracer986, the description verbiage doesn't match the specs but, the 89 is targeted from what I can determine for "heavier" style playing where a thick, flat and wide neck is more the norm. I still want to get one because for me it's the modeling capabilities I'm after and just do NOT like the looks of the 69. A neck can be profiled by any competent luthier addressing the fretboard radius is a bit more difficult but a custom neck would not be out of the question for me. Having one guitar that sounds like many makes life SO much easier... YMMV

I appreciate the info psarkissian, even though it has left me a bit perplexed. I've seen several times where the 89 was described as having a slim neck. I know there will be variations with the actual necks, but normally the measurements are a good baseline to work off of. I'm really surprised that they are this beefy.

I'm with you on this one specracer986, the description verbiage doesn't match the specs but, the 89 is targeted from what I can determine for "heavier" style playing where a thick, flat and wide neck is more the norm. I still want to get one because for me it's the modeling capabilities I'm after and just do NOT like the looks of the 69. A neck can be profiled by any competent luthier addressing the fretboard radius is a bit more difficult but a custom neck would not be out of the question for me. Having one guitar that sounds like many makes life SO much easier... YMMV

I can tell you this. I bought my 69 just out of curiosity, to see how it would integrate with my Helix. After getting it, I liked the possibilities I saw and ordered the Warmouth neck. After getting the Warmouth neck, it took about two weeks for this odd looking 69 to become my #1 and displace a bunch of nice guitars. I now program into each patch, my guitar volume, tone, model and even tuning. Some patches have screenshots for different parts of the song, and the parameters change several times in each song with just a click of a foot switch. So I might play a Strat, LP, and Ric in the same song with no changing of knobs on my guitar. Unbelievable!

If you get it, please post info on the neck. I'm still a bit dubious about these specs that were posted. A lot of heavy metal guys like the Ibenez thin necks, and it was my understanding this is what they were shooting for with the 89.

When I spoke to Jelena earlier she informed me the neck was fashioned similar to an Ibanez RG neck, trouble with that AFAIK an RG is available with more than one neck. Fortunately, a friend has three Ibanez's so I will head down to his place later this week bringing my favorite Strat and do some pseudo-scientific comparisons. Either way, I will order the 89F giving it a thorough test drive before I make my final decision. As a side note, I was also informed the Helix will be getting Workbench HD capability soon. I too am very interested in having my guitar and pedal communicate with and control each other, that to me is just sick. Now if only Line 6 would consider making integral full wireless we'd surely be leaping into the 21st century with both feet firmly planted. One day there'll be no more wires, it's only a matter of time as a retired electrical contractor I'm tired of looking at wires, 40+ years is enough!

My current dream rig would be a "playable for me neck" 89F, Firehawk 1500 -powered speaker ONLY no modeling- with a Helix pedal all fully wireless with a battery in the pedal meaning only a power cord for the Firehawk. It would be just awesome if Line 6 brought the Helix up to Fractal Axe-Fx XL+ tonal quality but time is on Line 6's side.

Once the 89F arrives I will post what I find out about neck specs but I rest confident psarkissian got'em right!!

I can tell you this. I bought my 69 just out of curiosity, to see how it would integrate with my Helix. After getting it, I liked the possibilities I saw and ordered the Warmouth neck. After getting the Warmouth neck, it took about two weeks for this odd looking 69 to become my #1 and displace a bunch of nice guitars. I now program into each patch, my guitar volume, tone, model and even tuning. Some patches have screenshots for different parts of the song, and the parameters change several times in each song with just a click of a foot switch. So I might play a Strat, LP, and Ric in the same song with no changing of knobs on my guitar. Unbelievable!

If you get it, please post info on the neck. I'm still a bit dubious about these specs that were posted. A lot of heavy metal guys like the Ibenez thin necks, and it was my understanding this is what they were shooting for with the 89.

Got the specs off of the 89F drawings.

Slight correction, borrowed calipers from a lab-mate,...

24.4mm was at the end of the fret-board, just before the head-stock flare.

20.2mm at fret-1 (not including fret height)

20.15mm at fret-12 (not including fret height)

... measured from a spare 89F neck I have here, with a more recent serial#.

A more recent spec.

psarkissian; thank you very much for measuring that spare neck and posting the clarification. You've eased my mind considerably and I can see a "Buy It Now" moment in my near future.

So the new measurements translate to:

1st fret - .795"

12th fret - .793"

That coincides with an owner that said he didn't have a measurement but the 1st fret felt a little bigger than the 12th. Well he must have some pretty good feelings in his hands to notice that difference.

Since these measurements are only a little smaller than my Warmouth Standard Thin, which I really like, I think I'll get along with it just fine.

I prefer maple fretboards , so I reworked an ESP LTD MH-103QM  maple neck and replaced the original .

so i have my hands on my original JTV-89F neck right now ...

and the wood measures .768 at the 1st fret and .795 at the 12th fret ... 16 inch radius

it is thin , fast and relatively flat ...  it's a very nice neck if you like Rosewood .