Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

String crosstalk

dallonjay

I've noticed when tuning the high e string on my variax standard, my tuner goes crazy until I mute my low e string. turned my amp a bit, definitely is some crosstalk between the piezos. Anyone else have experience in this or any type of fix? Guitar was just set up and other than that, plays perfect with the mags and the piezos.

The nature of how piezos work means there will always be some cross-talk - it may or may not be an issue for you. Some here have discussed this, particularly in reference to alt-tunings. If some strings get pitch-shifted, and others don't (e.g. open G), then this could be a problem. Surrounding piezos can pick up a string's vibrations, causing that string to sound through the system you're using, in either altered tuning, or standard, depending on the "de-tuned status" of that neighbouring piezo's signal, causing unwanted "ghost-notes". If pitch shifting across all strings is the same (e.g. a full step down), then it won't be a problem.

I hope my explanation's clear enough for you!

I don't know about a "fix" per se - you can try and minimise it by lowering output volume from the piezos in workbench, but then you'll need to tweak your patches (if you're using a Pod, or Helix), to regain some of that lost output.

What you observed isn't crosstalk between the piezo pickups, its that the output of the Variax is mono - all the pickups are run through the signal processor and then to the output. So any strings sounded will be seen by a tuner whether is plugged into the guitar electrically or with a physical tuner attached to the headstock.

I've noticed when tuning the high e string on my variax standard, my tuner goes crazy until I mute my low e string.

It's always a good idea to mute the rest of the strings when trying to tune, particularly with the two E strings, as they're even multiples of the same frequency. Sympathetic vibrations from one will set the other string in motion if it's not muted. Any guitar in the world can confuse a tuner this way.