Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-89F Locking Tuners?

I just ordered a new JTV-89F and I am very much looking forward to its arrival. I would however prefer locking tuners, I've been spoiled over the years and can't live without them. What locking tuners will work on the JTV-89F? Thanks in advance!

The "F" has the FR bridge I wouldn't think it comes with locking tuners since it might be considered redundant. Info I've found indicates sealed 16:1 tuners no mention of locking...

My 69 came with locking tuners. Are you sure the 89f doesn't?

Hey there psarkissian,

Yes I am aware the "F" indicates Floyd Rose -in this case a licensed Graph Tech variant- Double Locking tremolo bridge. Just need to confirm the Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners will fit without ANY modifications to the 89F??

89F doesn't use locking tuners, because it has locking string nut and tree. 

Hi MaxTravelor,

Yes again, it makes string changes a breeze. I know it's redundant on a double locking system however like I said in my OP I have become spoiled over the years with every guitar even my acoustics sporting locking tuners. I have never tried the Plant Waves Auto-Trim locking tuners but it sure would mean no more "dikes" to keep in my case or gig bag. Plus, Floyd Rose is now offering their Turbo Trem Arm which has a built in allen wrench meaning no more wrench caddy's screwed to the backside of my headstocks and/or wrenches to misplace or lose. About an hour on the phone with Graph Tech and Floyd Rose assures me the Turbo Trem Arm will work with the bridge on the 89F. Call me a freak but 40+ years as an electrician or electrical contractor now retired I have seen and held my fair share of tools and I'm really enjoying living a tool-less if not less tools life...

The 89F is a Floyd Rose Dual Locking System - 

It has locking Bridge and Locking Nut - 

Is there a specific reason you want the tuners locking as well?  I guess it would make stringing the guitar a little easier??  

Plus, Floyd Rose is now offering their Turbo Trem Arm which has a built in allen wrench meaning no more wrench caddy's screwed to the backside of my headstocks and/or wrenches to misplace or lose. About an hour on the phone with Graph Tech and Floyd Rose assures me the Turbo Trem Arm will work with the bridge on the 89F. 

Thanks for the tip on that one. I had not seen the trem arm before. Ordered one just now for my 89f. That's too useful to pass up. When ahead and got the noiseless springs as well since they were cheap and maybe help with any ping from my peizeos on the Variax.

Hey Palico,

You're welcome! Now about those locking tuners for an 89F, anybody?

Thanks for the tip on that one. I had not seen the trem arm before. Ordered one just now for my 89f. That's too useful to pass up. When ahead and got the noiseless springs as well since they were cheap and maybe help with any ping from my peizeos on the Variax.

Please clarify, are your referring to the nut on the tuner or locking nut? If the locking nut why would any modifications be required?

Did you modify the nut when you installed the locking tuners?

Glockster - "Please clarify, are your referring to the nut on the tuner or locking nut? If the locking nut why would any modifications be required?"

The locking nut. I find it annoying sometimes because the tuning adjustment knobs on the bridge max out and I have to loosen the nut to readjust the headstock tuners and reset the bridge tuners.  I have a EBMM Majesty that has a trem bar and locking tuners without a locking nut and it is just easier.

The locking nut. I find it annoying sometimes because the tuning adjustment knobs on the bridge max out and I have to loosen the nut to readjust the headstock tuners and reset the bridge tuners.

Yup. Infuriating. It's why I abandoned Floyds a long time ago. One should not need tools on hand to tune a guitar.

I've always set the fine tuners just a bit higher than mid-point on their threads when restringing I also have a Tremol-No which locks my bridge down making the whole process much easier. You two might like the guitar I'm currently building, I have a NOS Fender System One bridge and a vintage Strat 1-piece MIJ swamp ash contemporary body factory routed for the FS1. I abandoned the Fender locking nut because it's just plain.......hideous and will use staggered height tuners and an LSR. If you've never played an FS1 Strat you don't know what you're missing, the bridge is a mechanical work of art and adds a tremendous amount of sustain...

Glockster - "Please clarify, are your referring to the nut on the tuner or locking nut? If the locking nut why would any modifications be required?"

The locking nut. I find it annoying sometimes because the tuning adjustment knobs on the bridge max out and I have to loosen the nut to readjust the headstock tuners and reset the bridge tuners.  I have a EBMM Majesty that has a trem bar and locking tuners without a locking nut and it is just easier.

Yup. Infuriating. It's why I abandoned Floyds a long time ago. One should not need tools on hand to tune a guitar.