Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

well, i just bought one used for 210 used... we will see..

scuzzo

for about 3 years i have been kinda put off by guitar.. just not inspired..  and for xmass i got a cheap hollow body gifted to me..  and realized i still really like playing guitar... but my pod xt...  gave up the ghost so i started looking for alternates..  tried the pod HD desktop... was not happy with it at all,, too much fiddling.  so i sent it back and started looking for a bed room jam amp/ audio interface.  and i saw the fire hawlk..  i did not have helix / kemper/ ax fx money...   all my amps in the past came from guitar rig 4/ amplitube 4.. podxt into DAW...  i really like the idea of ipod connectivity  and i thought the app looked pretty cool... perhaps not as tweakable as the HD series of boards..  i have not tried pod farm on the PC.. so i dont really know what the sims of the firehawlk sound like... but if there is a good enough compressor and EQ i have found you can get most things to work out pretty well..  it dose look as though i may have bought a modeling amp at its sunset.. EOL End of life ...  but heck..  it may have enough flexibility and sound quality to at least be a step up from my irig or amplitube/ guitar rig models... we will see...     heck... you cant get much of any amp for 200 bucks now and days..  i think i did ok.

If you liked the xt you should love the firehawk, I wouldn't say it's at the end of its life , I mean how long have you had the xt? Lol

I liked the xt but wanted to try something new, tried hd500 and hated it, tried zoom g5 and got good tones eventually but the footswitching was a constant bugbear, I love the firehawk and tones are at least comparable to the hd series, I actually prefer the firehawk tones over the hd and you can certainly get workable tones a lot quicker

If you liked your XT sounds I think you will joy in the firehawk sound set. Hope you like it!

i am totally sold on this thing... i was fooling around with it yesterday not really happy with the tone.. and then i thought the best way to address a sterile amp is play with the reverb a bit give the note a bit more room to dig in..  and so i adjusted the mix on the verb and WOW!! the sounds were every bit as glassy and bloomy  as my old DAW running amplitube 4..    it will never be as good as a kemper or axe fx but for what these things are selling for right now used and the ability to connect to the ipad and all the audio goodies that you can play with loops and drum  machines and sequencers and if i can ever figure out how to get a IPAD camera connection kit to work so i can use the FFX as a audio interface to run all the Positive grid line of sim amps on the ipad... the creative possibilities are endless... i just need to figure out how best to adress the Camera connection Kit issue... right now there is some sort of hum in the signal going in to Positive Grid..  i went with a real cheap CCK so that may be it... .  or gain is too high on signal going in or too high coming out...  duno...  but i was just using the FFX yesterday and got into the groove and i was getting some real doyal bramhall kinda vibes from it, the univibe is pretty tight,, and the orange amp with a bit of verb room and a bit compression really finds a sweet spot... if the non HD amps sound this saggy and bloomy ,  the HD amps must really nail it..    there is almost too much stuff to play around with...  i have no need for heavy gain metal kind tones so that may be where the FFX falters.. i dont know... my sound heads to  kinda summers, Gilmore, edge, Bramhall, jimi.. and those kinda cats... also fripp and weird stuff like that... but even if this thing is EOL...  as long as they keep the app up to date i will be really happy with it....   like i said... totally sold..

play on... ;) 

• 2 years later...

Going through these topics as a new owner. Bought a virtually unused one for cheap. Saw the EoL prediction from 2017 and they are still selling new around $400.  HD500X is on $100 price drop at GC at $449.  Just changed over from an Digitech RP360 that I ran thru a hybrid tube amp, sometimes as a stomp and also through a dry amp channel as a modeler.  One thing I found is that you really need to build your own tones from any modeler.  That said, the FH has more amp models than I'll likely ever use since I'm a home studio player.  I'm still figuring out idiosyncrasies (see the topic I threw out there) but the only thing this lacks considering it price point is 3rd party patches.  The cabinet models and mic placement options scratch the "muh IR's" itch just fine. Simply put, get a Kemper or Helix if you record.  That's a different itch.  For hobby players the FH is great and allows me to sit down after work and do some tone building quickly but mostly it lends itself to quickly get to the playing with no fuss. I'm playing thru an Alto TX210 in floor wedge config.