Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amps and cabs and mics

CraigGT

I recently bought a pod HD500X and a DT25 as my first step into modelling, I loved the interaction with the two but I struggled to dial in any decent sounds on the pod. Anyway I was offered a decent price on a Helix so the pod is now on Ebay.

I'm a little confused with amps and mics, on the pod there was an option to turn off mic sims if you were going into an amp rather than a FRFR system but I can't find similar on the Helix.

I've found that I prefer the full amp models over the preamp only's but I'm finding that I prefer the sound if I turn off the cab and turn on an cab sim on the DT25.

I would expect that the Helix cabs would be better that the DT25 ones but I do think it sounds better without the mic sims and I don't understand why I would want a mic sim in there if I'm listening to my amp.

I fully understand why you'd want one if I was recording or DI'ing into a PA but not in my room blasting away.

Can someone enlighten me please?

I am using L6 link to the amp and understand that I can change cabs sims and topologies with midi but I'm wanting to get the basics in my head before I delve deeper.

Thanks in advance

Craig 

In Helix there are separate blocks for Amp+Cab, Amp, Preamp, and Cab. You select the block(s) you want. You can choose to use only the preamp and no cab/mic if you wish. Or you can use the full amp with a cab, either as an integrated unit or separately. In the latter case you are able to place FX between the amp and cab in the signal chain.

Each cab model is accompanied by a mic model. There is no 'no mic' option because the mic is required to capture the sound of the cab. If you want to use the DT cab you should throetically not include a cab block in the Helix preset. But there are no rules - use whatever sounds best to you.

Running into a traditional amp, you'll generally have better results if you don't use any cabs, but units like the DT25 (and any other modeling combo-Fender Mustang, BOSS Katana, etc) are designed to NOT allow much coloration from the power amp and speaker (that is all handled in the models).  So with the Line 6 amp it's no surprise that running just a preamp block sounds a tad off.  Set it up the way it sounds best to you-that is the ONLY rule in modeling. 

Thanks for the explanations guys,

So if I think a patch sounds better with an Hiway 4x12 in the DT25 then with the equivalent Helix cab then I should go for it and frodebro has provided good logic why it should be that way.

I just need to delve into command centre to learn how to change it to Fender twin when that is required.

At least all the time I'm spending playing around with this I have a guitar in my hands and that can only make me better :-)

Craig