Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there a way to prevent my practicing from coming through my speakers?

357mag

A while back I removed my sound card from my computer and decided to just use my POD as my sound card for listening to music. Works fine. However, when I plug my guitar into my POD to practice, my guitar is also coming through my desktop speakers.

I really don't want that. 

I only want the guitar sound coming through my headphones.

I have my speaker cables hooked up to the unbalanced outputs on the back of the unit. 

So is there a way to shut off my guitar so it doesn't come through my speakers?

A while back I removed my sound card from my computer and decided to just use my POD as my sound card for listening to music. Works fine. However, when I plug my guitar into my POD to practice, my guitar is also coming through my desktop speakers.

I really don't want that. 

I only want the guitar sound coming through my headphones.

I have my speaker cables hooked up to the unbalanced outputs on the back of the unit. 

So is there a way to shut off my guitar so it doesn't come through my speakers?

OK - to clarify, since you have given scant information for us to troubleshoot, (must be a youngin')....

I ASSUME you are practising by playing along to some music, with it also going through the speakers - am I right? If you've removed the soundcard from the computer, then you won't be able to separate the music signal from your guitar signal, as the pod is processing both of the signals. You'll need to get the music from another source (ipod or the like), played through the speakers, and use headphones from the pod, if you wanna keep em separated....

Also I don't see how you could be getting much volume by simply sending the unbalanced output to the speakers - are they powered speakers?