Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with Bonamassa Jockey Full patch

jmcecil

Hey all .. I'm getting close but can't quite get that phasing sound from Jockey full of Burboun.

Helix - Mono Send -> Ultimate Chorus Mono Return -> UC Stereo Send -> Helix Return 1/2 -> Helix Main Outs -> UC Stereo Return

With this setup I put a modulation and delay after the mono send so I can mix the wet signal into the dry before sending to the stereo return.  My understanding is that Joe used some unidentified modulation and an echo using a mix control for the wet signal.  Anyhow, I can get the quick slap back stereo effect and grindy distortion with the twead blues and pretty much any of the echos in this setup.  What I can't get is the phasing/chorusing to work.  I've tried flangers/chorus/vibe/trem with no joy.  It sounds a lot like a Robin Trower Univide type effect in many places, then sounds like a chorus in others.  But, I can't get the interaction happening at all.  

Any ideas?

I am not hearing modulation on that. What I am hearing is that he may be double tracking with a slight time offset on the doubled track. The time offset creates the illusion of a phasing effect with the two tracks interacting with one another. There is also some delay added after the double tracked part during the solo portion. 

If you check out the Keely 30ms double tracker pedal, it does something like that. You can simulate it with a simple delay in the helix, in a parallel path, delay set to 20-30ms, zero feedback, and just play with the mix %. It creates a nice "fat" wide sound without affecting the actual tone. 

I could be dead wrong, but that is what my ears are telling me. 

I will take a listen later. Pitch echo is great for a mimique double effect, I use it a lot!

I tried the pitch echo.  But there is a very distinctive thing going on here that I couldn't get.  I haven't had a chance to try the "double tracking" approach yet.

I'm an idiot, iv been listening to the ballad of John Henry lol I will listen to the proper song!

LOL, plenty of great tones all over that record, so who can blame you.

Actually you don't have to listen long, it's very apparent just after the honky tonk piano at the beginning.