Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

SPIDER REMOTE APP SUCKS

zzbaluba

I just brought home a brand new Spider V and I am HORRIBLY disappointed in this lollipop app that you have to use to try and edit tones.

Is there a manual somewhere for this goddamn thing? You are just supposed to intuitively know how this works?

Is there a listing of the different cabinets and effects somewhere so I don't have to try and scroll through it all on my phone?? How inefficient is that?

Something listing all the settings?

It sucks being tethered this close to the amp.  You can't get far enough away from it to see what different stuff sounds like.

IS THERE NO OPTION FOR PC EDITING?

I loved my Spider IV.  So far V hasn't impressed me.  It's going to drive me crazy if I have to use this goddamn app al the time to edit this thing.  That might be enough to take it back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Are you using Android or Apple? I had bad luck with my Samsung s6, crashed constantly. With my Ipad mini, it's been flawless.(Hear that Line 6?) There is no PC editor, unfortunately. There isn't a manual, but most of the functions are pretty obvious. The one that I've found that isn't is the pedal assignment. You have to touch and hold in the function you want to assign the pedal until a dialog box pops up. Ask questions and maybe we can help you. BUT, they should have a guide for the app, and they should create a PC editor.

• Upvote 2

Well good for you sunshine. 

"There isn't a manual, but most of the functions are pretty obvious."  I guess I'm a f'ing idiot then because it's not obvious at all.

Trying to scroll through 78 amp models on something the size of a phone.  That's ridiculous.  That's just stupid.

• Downvote 7

"There isn't a manual, but most of the functions are pretty obvious."  I guess I'm a f'ing idiot then because it's not obvious at all.

Trying to scroll through 78 amp models on something the size of a phone.  That's ridiculous.  That's just stupid.

You're a class act, aren't you? I was just trying to give you information so you could make an informed decision. Have a really great day!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I find the people on this forum are for the most part really friendly and are trying hard to help, gtrman100 is a good example. I don't understand why some folks are so agressive unless they are trying to get a reaction?

The Spider Remote app is a free download so you can try it before you purchase the amp. For the most part it is very intuitive. It's not perfect but it's a lot of fun.

• Upvote 1

OP is only reiterating problems of many that bought the amp. I disagree with the mannerism of the reply

Appears not as many people are too thrilled with the suggestion of "buy a large tablet" as an option when they already have a computer they use. Many dislike using their phones for the app. Then the ongoing disconnects, and devices that do not work properly even after buying new tablets. 

If I were Line 6 I would be thinking; Instead of our consumers buying new tablets to run our mobile editor, lets create a Win and Mac editor so this way our consumer can use that $100-150 they would spend on a generic android tablet towards Line 6 accessories like an FBV3, or G10T.

OP and others have been told to go to Ideascale and vote for PC editors since Oct. Most dislike that answer to a very big problem. 

Personally I would love to have the choice of using a tablet/phone or a PC, but I'm not holding my breath for this. I'm sure Line6 looked at the sales of tablets vs sales of laptops and the demographic they are targeting with this AMP when they decided to go for one instead of the other.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272595/global-shipments-forecast-for-tablets-laptops-and-desktop-pcs/

Tablets have been out selling laptops for the last 4 years. Now if you add the huge number of smart phones being sold both Android and iOS to the tablets market share it becomes even more obvious why they went with one instead of the other.

One possible way around this, would be  if Line6 was to release the API to the amp so the community could built their own PC software, but Line6 might have some stuff they consider intellectual property so this might never happen.

Amplifi has been out even longer then Spider V and to my knowledge they have yet to produce a PC version for it. 

• Upvote 1

Personally I would love to have the choice of using a tablet/phone or a PC, but I'm not holding my breath for this. I'm sure Line6 looked at the sales of tablets vs sales of laptops and the demographic they are targeting with this AMP when they decided to go for one instead of the other.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272595/global-shipments-forecast-for-tablets-laptops-and-desktop-pcs/

Tablets have been out selling laptops for the last 4 years. Now if you add the huge number of smart phones being sold both Android and iOS to the tablets market share it becomes even more obvious why they went with one instead of the other.

One possible way around this, would be  if Line6 was to release the API to the amp so the community could built their own PC software, but Line6 might have some stuff they consider intellectual property so this might never happen.

Amplifi has been out even longer then Spider V and to my knowledge they have yet to produce a PC version for it. 

Over 1000 votes for computer editors on Amplifi and it never happened. I think you may be correct in the assumption Spider V Remote is all we'll see. Difference however is that Amplifi was made for mobile. The OP and many other complain they have to be tethered to a phone or tablet which makes no sense for any MOBILE based products. Spider V Amps are 5 different levels for consumers. Amplifi was 2 versions.

When you look at what reached "complete stage" at Ideascale you won't see much. Almost everything is "in review"

I bet Spider V computer app request could get 2500 votes and still not see any action taken. Consumers come here and find so many topics with app related problems. Your link suggests that Line 6 is OK with alienating 2/3 of consumers. To me that is pretty dumb decision making.

• Downvote 1

I will be returning the amp as quickly as I can ,,,, the remote edit ap does not work ... this is a deal breaker on a marginal product.

Yamaha .... you to set Line 6 straight. I will never buy a new line 6 amp again. Flextones and Vettas are gonna have to do ....

• Like 1

Can you be more specific? The app is not perfect, but to say it does not work is a bit of an overstatement.

I'm using my V240 connected to an old Sony tablet without a problem. I also tried 4 or 5 other devices and with the exception of my Samsung S6 all of them worked ok.

Having access to all parameters of the signal chain on a 10inch touch screen makes for a really cool experience.

There is a lot of good people here on this forum really trying to help other users so if you give a description of your problem maybe we can help.

What he has said is really a common sentiment, and not just here but many other forums. This amp is taking a beating over the editor App. Line 6 can't confirm or solve the problems users are having on multiple devices, certain brand phones and tablets. Seems not too many users want to go shopping for a tablet that may work or not. People are returning these based on the app issues. That's too bad because the amp is really cool.

Agree but showing up here and saying the app does not work is not very useful or constructive if you don't say what is not working.

Some people also posted here that they could not get the app to work, but with the help of people on this forum they were able to fix their issues at least some of them.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Williamwek

I am using the Archos remote control app with my G9 tablet, wuth great success.

would like to upgrade to the new 101 xs2, but not sure if the app will work with this new tablet.

I suppose all the other tablets Neon, Xenon, Titanium... wont work with the remote control app, am I right ?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm frustrated too I sit there and had an LG G4 and couldn't hook up to the spider V amp now I didn't upgrade I got the LG G5 downloaded the apps and I still can't hookup to the am very frustrated and feel like returning the amp no reason to have it yet because I like the wireless capabilities and I'm like to just sit down on my recliner Play My Guitar and have the amp right next to me and it just the effects it is so frustrating that they need to do something.

Did you run a USB OTG checker? What USB OTG adapter are you using? Some devices do not play well with OTG USB. My Samsung S6 does not work well, but all my other devices work fine. I use my amp exactly as you describe I have my tablet next to me when I play.

By this do you mean the spider v remote app, which I have downloaded. I have a android LG G5. I am trying to find the right otg adapter to go into a printer end cable the half moon one. Having a hard time which one to get. Otg-c or a otg-y cable. A usb Otg checker said I was true other than that I am not sure. A usb host check said android hardware usb host xml ok. Handheld core hardware xml states that sub host not enabled. Tablet core hardware xml not found. A message underneath reads it appears that sub host support is not enabled on this device a fix attempted can be performed. It gives you a option to recheck or fix but this does not execute. I guess I have to try to get a otg adapter and hope for the best. One note I paid to download usb audio player pro which did not help ether.

Made the mistake of getting that adapter. it fit my LG G4 phone and briefly worked and froze up when I controlled the parameters. I recently updated to a LG G5 and had to order a OTG LG G5 cable. I will let you know how that works soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like I'm missing the point of this app entirely. I figured it was Bluetooth (like AMPLIFi), but I've since discovered it's not, so I'm not sure I get it.

A typical iPhone cable is only, what, 3 feet? So I can sit right in front of the amp and edit tones on the app (via the 3' cable/leash) or on the dials that are right in front of me -- is there some other benefit I'm missing? (If so, to OP's point, an overview vid/manual might help to spell this out).

Bluetooth would have been nice, however you can get a much longer cable if you want or need, atleast with Android. (No clue about iOS) I'm using a 15 feet cable currently with no issue. Just search for USB printer cable.

The app is not perfect, but it makes tweaking the amp much faster. You can also do all of this from where you are playing.

No need to reach for the amp controls.

One thing I learned with using modeling devices was creating shortcuts. You can build patches easily on panel or App by creating templates. Toss a few of the FX you use primarily, and then save these to an open bank. From there just change the amp and cab models. In some modeling devices you can set no amp model or no cab. Spider V lets you select No cab, but amp model must be active. No cab option works great for recording direct and using impulse cabs in your DAW software. I have a bank for that too called DAW. Those are defined with no cab active.

All your basic pre and post effects used in any preset can be saved as a template on the app, or the unit. On most of my presets I have saved them with post eq. When using the same cabs or similar amp mfg type it makes preset edits faster. This way I have predefined values for Marshall, Mesa, Fender and so on when using the post eq. On the amp I just save them as Temp Mesa, Temp Marsh. Same as if I have a preferred FX chain type. Those are save in banks. I use the upper banks 30-32. 

Hey guys,

Just a quick one. I've been taking a look at the equipment tabs stacked at the top of this very forum and am trying to figure out how to add two types of modulation to a chain via the app.

I'm sure there must be someway to do it but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

ps This is where the app falls down for me....no damn info on how to use the thing!

Cheers.

Click on the block you want to change in the chain by clicking directly on the icon of the device. ( If you don't click on the icon and click any where else in the block you will open or expend the control for this device/block.)

Click directly on the word Type. to open the list of Type. Select Modulation and the list of modulation affects will open.

I hope this helps...

It does, thanks very much.

Would I be right in saying then that you can't add more than 3 FX in the chain? The Adrian Smith template, for example, has a tube screamer, 2 types of modulation and a delay. I'm guessing 4 into 3 won't go, as I can't see a way to change the reverb or compressor channels?

Thanks again for you advice!

Does anybody know if Line 6 is going to put a version application for Editor to control the spider V from a computer. I feel that I don't need to get the latest phone just to do this app. I should be able to do it from a computer. I feel that this was a waste of money and a bad decision on my part.

Does anybody know if Line 6 is going to put a version application for Editor to control the spider V from a computer. I feel that I don't need to get the latest phone just to do this app. I should be able to do it from a computer. I feel that this was a waste of money and a bad decision on my part.

They said to vote for computer editor at Ideascale. 8 mos ago. Firehawk and Amplifi owners requested the same. Last March and nothing.

I seriously doubt there will be any attempt to have Pc or Mac editors for this.

Buy a cheap android tablet. Some of the under $70 tablets work ok. Some tablets and phones are iffy. I tried the installer on many android products and even emulators, and the Install option wasn't even there. All it said was your device is incompatible. Something with USB Host connectivity. So I rooted the device as suggested in reviews, enabled USB debugging and it still doesn't work on the devices it failed. Many of those are less than a yr old. Some of the older tablets did work. Users all over are having issues with the app. Just read reviews even at the Google Play store for the app.

It's weird. On some devices you go to Play Store and Spider V Remote doesn't even show. It's just Firehawk and Amplifi. If you do a web search, the Spider V Remote app is listed. but if you go to install it, still says "device is incompatible" but the funny thing is the Firehawk and Amplifi do not report that message and you can install on your android device.

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is mainly directed at the op.  I'm not thrilled about being tethered to the amp via tablet either.  But you know what?  I knew that going in because I actually read the product specifications and then the manual.  Not seeing bluetooth in the product description prompted me to download the manual and investigate further.  Do you homework before dropping money on a piece of gear.  It's a lot less painless than trying to return the item.  Especially if you bought it online.

I can't speak about Android woes because I'm an Apple user.  The app works flawless for me.

• 3 months later...

They said to vote for computer editor at Ideascale. 8 mos ago. Firehawk and Amplifi owners requested the same. Last March and nothing.

I seriously doubt there will be any attempt to have Pc or Mac editors for this.

It's weird. On some devices you go to Play Store and Spider V Remote doesn't even show. It's just Firehawk and Amplifi. If you do a web search, the Spider V Remote app is listed. but if you go to install it, still says "device is incompatible" but the funny thing is the Firehawk and Amplifi do not report that message and you can install on your android device.

The MacOS/Windows editor is now available: http://line6.com/support/topic/29307-control-your-spider-v-amp-with-spider-v-remote-version-100/?do=findComment&comment=226551

Regarding Android:

Spider Remote Android requires full support of USB Host Mode on the Android device, and support of this mode varies wildly across Android devices. If you run the Play Store app on an Android device that explicitly does not support USB Host Mode, the Play Store will not show Spider Remote.

While many Android devices claim to support USB Host Mode, many of the implementations are problematic. This post includes links to 3rd-party apps that can be used to determine if an Android device truly supports USB Host Mode: http://line6.com/support/topic/23315-spider-v-android-compatibility-does-your-mobile-device-connect/?do=findComment&comment=177268

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/4/2017 at 3:59 PM, zzbaluba said:

A good therapist can help you with the anger, and a good pair of glasses with your seeing the phone issue!! How do you use your phone every day? And why attack people for trying to help? I picture you laying on the floor kicking your feet crying cause you can’t work a cell phone!!! Buy a paper jam guitar and call it a day if you can’t figure the app out, because it’s one of the most simple things to use, well it is if you don’t have a flip phone still, good luck with your, lol, pc!!!! 

• Downvote 2

• 1 month later...

The Spider Remote software doesn't work with any Samsung products.  Line 6 team forgot that Samsung sold 100 million devices last year.  R&D oversight, I guess.  Very disappointing. You would think designing from the ground up, connectivity would be high priority.  (maybe they will release update soon?) 

The Spider V120 has an old school USB 2.0 connector and a weird switch to flip between Mac and Windows with no explanation.  Fischer Price has better connectivity on my kids romper room toys.  Line 6 drops the ball on this one.  The amp has good tone if you are looking to play at low levels is an apartment.  Put it to the test on a festival stage with drums and bass and it struggles.  DI outputs are crap, no Pre/ Post or attenuation and mine put off a tap button pulse in PA.  Got to a gig before I figured out that little gem. Yes, I know all the tricks of ground loops. (30 yrs). 

Two things of note.  Acoustic Amp sounds not useful beyond the living room and you need the App to navigate the menus.

1 hour ago, MichaelTurner9 said:

The Spider V120 has an old school USB 2.0 connector and a weird switch to flip between Mac and Windows with no explanation.

That switch is for switching between iOS and all other operating systems, not switching between Mac and Windows... And no explanation? It's right in the manual...

a82f6c57-df82-41f8-9dfd-7f6932a1111a.png

Thanks for the manual 'show and tell' Phil. (never read it)  Almost 2 decades into the 21st Century and this thing should be plug and play, not an iOS based system choice.  If that was the intent, it should be marketed as such. I do appreciate the manual clarification but it is not a resolution to the interface problems necessary to maximize its potential.  Hope Line 6 makes a leap forward on this one because it has so much potential but for now I have to send it back.

32 minutes ago, MichaelTurner9 said:

Thanks for the manual 'show and tell' Phil. (never read it)  Almost 2 decades into the 21st Century and this thing should be plug and play, not an iOS based system choice.  If that was the intent, it should be marketed as such. I do appreciate the manual clarification but it is not a resolution to the interface problems necessary to maximize its potential.  Hope Line 6 makes a leap forward on this one because it has so much potential but for now I have to send it back.

I don't understand what the big deal about the switch is... They added the USB A port so you could connect to an iOS device without having to use a camera connection kit.

As far as the Spider Remote and Samsung, it depends on the particular version of Android it's running. Some work and some don't. Overall, though, Android seems to be much less reliable for this type of application than iOS. Also, don't forget that there's a PC and Mac version of the editor. The Spider V series actually has more options for remote editing than any other Line 6 product line.