Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Creating Tones for direct to FOH

rychester63

Just wondering how any of the Helix owners who run direct to FOH go about creating tones eq wise. I used my Helix live to FOH for the first time last weekend for a two night show and only had to cut the highs a touch. I used a monitor (JBL) to create my tones and our PA is also a complete JBL system and the response from avid tube players was that  they liked it. I was wondering if because I used the same speakers as our mains if that helped make the tones closer to being correct eq wise? If you play threw a different PA night after night how do you create your tones to deal with that circumstance?

I don't do anything. I create my presets at home using an L3 speaker. For live play I do go straight from the Helix into an L2 speaker (for my personal monitor) via L6 LINK and to FOH via XLR. So I hear pretty much exactly what the sound man is receiving. My biggest hurdle is creating a tone at home that still sounds good in a big venue through my personal monitor (due to the difference in atmosphere) regardless of FOH. But when I do find/create a tone that sounds good (to me) at a larger venue through my own monitor, the sound man EQs it to whatever he see's fit at FOH anyway.

I have found i can use my studio monitors at a comfortable volume at home.

Then when pushing through a pa live i cut 3k at 4db or 5db. Q around 1.8 to 2.

That seems to deal with the Fletcher- Munson or whatever higher volume causes.

Does anyone have the preset with the fletcher-munson eq blocks in place to make tones at low volumes? The Helix facebook page turned up no results

The first link is a preset created by bzoni that has a Fletcher-Munson block for when you want to play loud. After that there a couple of great videos, part 1&2 on the Helix and the Fletcher-Munson curve. The first part is more theory and the second gets down to more nuts & bolts showing you how to create presets that are ready for low-medium or performance volume levels. 

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/2674388/

I've got a wedge at home and a studio monitor, three different sets of pa speakers in a rehearsal space, a different pa in a other rehearsal space along with a crazy Frankenstein PA tower thing. If I can get a preset to sound good enough through all of those then they will sound good enough through anything I will come across FOH

I think if you're using any typical modern powered speaker you're going to be relatively close to the response of most modern PA systems.  I have a Yamaha DXR12 at the house that I use for constructing my patches and for practice.  I use a separate DXR12 that I keep at our rehearsal space for my stage monitor.  Most commonly I'm playing direct through a QSC KLA12 line array system with KW181 subs.  I'm sure there are some minor differences in the frequency response curve of the PA, but it doesn't really make any real difference from my DXR12.  I've also played through a variety of other systems both line arrays and standard powered speaker systems and they're all pretty much the same.  I always tell the sound man to leave my channel completely flat and it always works out well.

The only time I ever had a problem was when the PA was an older central amplifier with crossovers to non-powered speakers and subs.  That was considerably muddier than my DXR12, but because I position my DXR12 behind me I simply placed it on a vertical stand so it would project better into the audience.  It was a small enough space that it all worked out.