Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reaper Newbie Question - Recording music & Vocals simotaniously

Hi Everyone:

My name is Steven. I have Zero (0) experience in mixing anything so I would appreciate some step-by-step help here!

OK, I am a singer. I have a membership to a website with over 26,000 songs on it covering all genres. As you probably could understand, when the music is playing, the words to each song come up on the screen, in my case, I have my PC plugged into my PC so that I can see my computer screen on my BIG screen TV. 

My real true desire would be to record the music on TRACK #1 and my vocal on TRACK #2. now, I fully intend to use additional tracks to harmonize with myself and play with sound effects for my microphone to hopefully get some really cool results in order to spice up each song just a bit so it is not just WYSIWYG!

What I am envisioning is using my own voice through the whole thing, to have myself as my own backup singers.

About my setup;

1. As mentioned, I have a website hosting all the music

2. I have a BOSS BR900CD Digital Recording studio that has a condenser MIC and I have to engage PHANTOM POWER to make that work

As far as the MIC goes, it is plugged into the BOSS equipment and then from there OUTPUT from the BOSS to the MIC jack in the front of my PC.

I have RealTECH audio drivers on my PC.

By all means ..................... If my setup should be changed in any way, ................. PLEASE! I would appreciate any suggestions you might have about that!

To the point:

1. I want to record the music directly from the website as it is playing on track # 1

2. I want to record the MIC on track two at the same time that I am recording the music on TRACK #1. That way I can use my big screen TV to display the words for the song as I am singing it. In addition, I totally understand that I don't want to record the MIC with any sound effects on it at all, BUT, I'm sure it is possible to, while I am recording, to hear in my headphones what it will sound like when I do apply the sound effects I have chosen for the MIC.

Is there anyone out there who would be willing and able to assist me in getting this to work as desired. OR, if there might be  specific YouTube tutorial that someone knows about that covers this topic, I would be grateful for the referral.

With Gratitude:

Steven S.

Berkeley, CA USA

post-2531451-0-24345500-1488670966_thumb.jpg

First  ...... ( and maybe i missed something )  have you a way to extract the audio from your song|backup site?  i.e. and convert it to a WAV or even an MP3 file?

Reason being.....then you can just insert THAT as one of your tracks in Reaper....and then record your voice on additional tracks ( as maybe passes as it takes) 

I would doubt that trying to sing along with a YouTube type track off the web will be very easy to do.