Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

future of updates?

pdjones2112

I am seeing the 500X being offered through various music supply houses (Sweetwater, Sam Ash, GC etc...) for $500 beans... even after the launch of the Helix. Is the 500X still being produced or is this a "let get rid of old stock" play? Could we maybe see another firmware update at somepoint?

Not sure but no reason it wouldnt be in production as it is a great sounding device , just no longer worked on.

The HX isa more advanced device for those where money is no object when it comes to their Art.

The HD still works for me and for $500 is awesome!

As long as it is advertised under the Products section of this website (not the Legacy Products subsection) then it is still being manufactured. When a product is no longer in production it moves to the Legacy section.

Further firmware updates at this point are unlikely but still a possibility.

• Upvote 1

I am seeing the 500X being offered through various music supply houses (Sweetwater, Sam Ash, GC etc...) for $500 beans... even after the launch of the Helix. Is the 500X still being produced or is this a "let get rid of old stock" play? Could we maybe see another firmware update at somepoint?

That is not a "blow out" price. It's been $500 for years on end, since long before Helix was released...got mine almost 4 years ago at exactly that price. Still got the receipt...don't ask me why.

Being a platform that's 6+ years old, and one that hasn't seen a significant upgrade in quite a while now, I wouldn't hold my breath for any updates.

There's still much to discover on the POD HD series. I recently created all new patches after gigging live with a direct to PA setup for the last 2+ years. Trying different configs really puts some creative energy back into performing new material. I can see why POD HD series still retains value. 

When a competitor comes up with something for $500 bucks that's better then we'll see an upgrade. Right now nothing in that price range compares to it.

That's a good point. Why replace it with something else at a similar price point if they don't have to? R&D ain't cheap...

the Editor has a few bugs that after long time still have not been addressed, and that IMHO would be the first thing L6 should do for their HD customers..

This! The absolute minimum they should do at this point is to correct what they broke with the last update. I am referring to the strange bars that now appear in the parameters of the amps instead of the percentage indicator.

Personally I find this bug very annoying.

personally I'm happy with my old HD500, over time I learned really a lot (still discovering new tricks) about how to get the most from this device, and I'm enjoying the fruits of my work done..

I'm quite happy with my HD500 too. Still a very capable device for the price, too bad they do not continue their development.

saw the trend of the moment that is affecting many people using modelers, ie the IR loading feature, time ago I thought that a new model pack made up solely of carefully selected IRs, optimized for HD platform, would have been a good idea, which would not require any improvement in hardware..

Would that! I think the "IR factor" is obviously the next evolutive step in modelers, so this alone will determine if a modeler is from the old or the new generation.

the onboard cabs are already very good IMO, and I use them all the time, but having more options just for greater variety surely wouldn't hurt, at a reasonable price

Really? I always thought the cabs was the weakest part in the HD series, although over the years I've compared it with some other hard/soft modelers (boss, zoom, etc) and it is still better than most of them.

The Eleven Rack is the point where the HD cabs are surpassed, IMO. Probably the best from the old generation. However, it is also a device sadly abandoned by its manufacturer.

At this time, the Atomic Amplifire(s) seems to be the cheapest all-in-one way to get IR loading capabilities, and it can become the most serious competitor for the HD series, if is not already.

However, I imagine that until a bigger competitor like Boss launches a new modeler, Line6 will continue to sell the HD series, despite not being updated anymore.

However, I imagine that until a bigger competitor like Boss launches a new modeler, Line6 will continue to sell the HD series, despite not being updated anymore.

Yup. The universe likes equilibrium. I don't expect to see anything else in this price range from L6 until some other sub-$1K unit starts stealing the POD'S thunder.

Boss' GT-001 and Amplfire are starting to make some waves and have some $$ headroom to improve on the sub $1,000 market (Zoom too the G5n is not too shabby) FWIW. I have to believe L6 knows the HD is at the end of its run unless a hardware revamp is coming to blow out and add some features.

I have to believe L6 knows the HD is at the end of its run unless a hardware revamp is coming to blow out and add some features.

If you get enough face-lifts, eventually you have to cross your legs to blink. ;)

At some point it becomes self-defeating to keep trying to retrofit existing tech...and as with everything else, that point generally coincides with day that people stop buying a device in large enough numbers to justify continuing to build them.

True C and can't argue, but it has happened (XT->X3) but it all depends on the $ of the market and whether the HD tech is a viable seller.

I still don't think L6 will leave that market share they have earned.