Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar/bodies/pickups Wishlist

Now this thread is just a theoretical wish list, and doesn't mean it'll happen, but is a place to announce what guitars that the Variax doesn't have, that you wish to be added someday in the future if possible.

Mine:

-Gibson standard SG (Like an LP, but it has more bite, less chunky sound)

-Fender Jaguar

-Fender Jazzmaster

-Nylon string guitar (This might be hard because the Variax models the body and pickups, which is practical, but modeling nylon strings might be hard because we're trying to get steel to sound like nylon, which means we're changing the string sound, not adding onto it, which is what the body and pickups do)

-EMG/active pickups (I'm not sure if the 89 does this, but I'm pretty sure the 89 is just high output, not active pickups. I'm not sure how hard it would be to model this, but I think it might be possible)

-Add back removed guitar bodies that the HD update removed from 1.9 (Thinline, Standard Tele, Goldtop LP, Custom LP, possibly others)

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty new to the JTV & Variax, so I don't have a lot on my "Wishlist" right now, but I would definitely like to see a nylon string guitar. I think that should be pretty doable, even though you're starting from steel strings, it can be done. I had a Roland VG-99 previously and it did a fairly realistic nylon string classical. That's a great sound for some acoustic & classical type tunes - very distinctive.

Mine:

-Gibson standard SG (Like an LP, but it has more bite, less chunky sound)

-Fender Jaguar

-Fender Jazzmaster

-Nylon string guitar (This might be hard because the Variax models the body and pickups, which is practical, but modeling nylon strings might be hard because we're trying to get steel to sound like nylon, which means we're changing the string sound, not adding onto it, which is what the body and pickups do)

-EMG/active pickups (I'm not sure if the 89 does this, but I'm pretty sure the 89 is just high output, not active pickups. I'm not sure how hard it would be to model this, but I think it might be possible)

-Add back removed guitar bodies that the HD update removed from 1.9 (Thinline, Standard Tele, Goldtop LP, Custom LP, possibly others)

Plus a gibson flying V

modeling nylon strings might be hard because we're trying to get steel to sound like nylon, which means we're changing the string sound, not adding onto it, which is what the body and pickups do)

As I recall the old Variax Acoustic guitars used steel strings and modeled both steel and nylon strings, so it should be do-able.

Though if L6 has a new Variax Acoustic in the works they probably won't give the JTV a nylon string model, more acoustic sounds available on the JTV = fewer reasons for anyone to buy a Variax Acoustic.

yeah i have the nylon string in the variax acoustic 700...

not even close in my mind... maybe tonally if i did a direct recording it might resemble a nylon string...

but i find that i can't play it like a nylon string and it doesn't have anywhere close to the same feel...

that's why i have umteen-hundred guitars.. because they inspire in different way...

but thats also why i kept my nylon string...

it'd be nice if they can get it right, and as always appreciate options...

just not too optimistic.

As I recall the old Variax Acoustic guitars used steel strings and modeled both steel and nylon strings, so it should be do-able.

Though if L6 has a new Variax Acoustic in the works they probably won't give the JTV a nylon string model, more acoustic sounds available on the JTV = fewer reasons for anyone to buy a Variax Acoustic.

• Upvote 1

yeah i have the nylon string in the variax acoustic 700...

not even close in my mind... maybe tonally if i did a direct recording it might resemble a nylon string...

but i find that i can't play it like a nylon string and it doesn't have anywhere close to the same feel...

that's why i have umteen-hundred guitars.. because they inspire in different way...

but thats also why i kept my nylon string...

it'd be nice if they can get it right, and as always appreciate options...

just not too optimistic.

The problem is that the strings are were the sound comes from. A pickup/body is filtering the steel strings, not making the sound, so it's easy to replicate.

Meanwhile, modeling nylon strings isn't filtering strings, but trying to change the strings itself which is harder.

it's probably not going to hit home. Maybe the tonality will sound similar but the other nuances will probably be off. 

I'm sure if anyone is going to get close though, it'll be Line 6.

• 1 year later...

My wishlist would be:

The SG that has been mentioned several times :)

Gitane GJ-15 Gypsy Jazz

Taylor Grand Auditiorium (specifically 414)

Fender Jaguar (mentioned several times as well)

Nylon strings would be nice as well

Other than that I am just waiting to be able to get my HD500X (am currently using a XT Live)  :)  Loving my JTV59 though.

-Nylon string guitar 

+1 would love a Nylon string, even if it wasn't perfect.  

The 89 doesn't model anything the others don't I just has high output passive mags. They do sound good though.  On my 89f I wouldn't really care to have the EMG because the sound would not be that different (a bit I'm sure) than the mags but on the other models, I could for sure see it be useful.