Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Turn on/off Helix with a wireless remote?

mcadder

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's, in any way, harmful to the device if I use a wireless remote to turn on/off the power socket? I have put my device behind my desk so it's a struggle every time I have to turn it on/off.

Thx in advance!

Well I'm no electrician, but how on earth would Helix possibly know whether such a device was in use or not? It's either getting power from the outlet it's plugged into, or it isn't. Can't imagine it would make any difference one way or the other.

This is no different from connecting Helix to a power bar with a manual on/off switch, except that the switch is being controlled wirelessly rather than manually. As stated above, Helix neither knows nor cares how it receives power. It either gets power or it doesn't.

In theory a device using processors, and operative systems, has a back end shutdown cycle, which is engaged as soon as you turn off the unit on the back and this means you should not turn off the device BEFORE the unit built in on/off switch, as this should be pretty much like an abrupt power off.

In theory a device using processors, and operative systems, has a back end shutdown cycle, which is engaged as soon as you turn off the unit on the back and this means you should not turn off the device BEFORE the unit built in on/off switch, as this should be pretty much like an abrupt power off.

Well I can only guess of course, but given that they didn't even bother with an on/off switch on the POD'S, perhaps L6 doesn't bother doing things that way? Who knows....

This isn't true for these sort of purpose-built DSP loading devices. The power switch on the Helix is on the line side, so whenever you flip it, you're simply opening the line voltage circuit feeding the power supply. It doesn't initiate a shutdown sequence or anything like that. It just kills the power.

And to add. Unpowering the outlet saved my lollipop a while back when a pipe in basement broke and sprayed my old GT5, mixer, vocal processor. I opened then up, dried them out no problems.

I believe having no power in the cord may have prevented damage.