Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into Stagesource L3t

billybremner

I run my Helix into a stagesource L3t and use a strat most of the time. I have the L3t in Electric Guitar mode for this and it sounds great, but I also have a Variax which I use for acoustic sounds but can only get a real acoustic sound in Reference PA mode. In a gig situation this is a problem playing tracks which require switching between electric and acoustic because the variax electric models, or my strat for that matter, sounds lollipope in ref PA mode. Any tips would be welcome.

I leave my L3t in PA/Ref mode all the time, for both acoustic and electric Variax models. It sounds great (to me) using both. Are you using the Helix cab/mic models, or IRs? I find this is what gives the Helix presets the electric guitar sound so that I don't need to use Electric Guitar mode on the L3t. All three of these options - cab/mic, IR, Electric Guitar mode - do essentially the same thing. They provide additional EQ to simulate an electric guitar cab/mic combination. If you use both Helix cab/mic or IR as well as the L3t Electric Guitar mode I think it would not sound as good as using PA/Ref mode instead.

That's my experience, anyway, with the same gear.

I run my L3t IN PA mode for both electric and acoustic guitars going through Helix. Using electric guitar mode on the L3t emulates a 212 cab, and since Helix is doing all my cab modeling PA mode makes the most sense for me and works well with acoustic sounds.

Just repeating what everyone else has said. Keep L3 in PA Reference mode and adjust various presets accordingly. Otherwise, if you are running to FOH you're not hearing the same thing the sound man is hearing - and there's nothing happening in the speaker's Electric guitar mode that can't be compensated for within the Helix anyway. A general process/opinion for duplicating E-guitar mode might be a good subject for another thread or a continuation of this one but I suspect right off hand it's going to involve a lot of bass cut via Helix EQ and/or cab sim (which to my ear is somewhat necessary with the Stagesource speakers in general). Oh yeah! If you haven't found out the hard way already, you should always check the Stagesource speaker before playing to make sure it didn't automatically change to another mode due to speaker position or mounting (as it's supposed to do but doesn't always). That's a smart feature and selling point of the speaker that I wish they had just kept dumb.

... Oh yeah! If you haven't found out the hard way already, you should always check the Stagesource speaker before playing to make sure it didn't automatically change to another mode due to speaker position or mounting (as it's supposed to do but doesn't always). That's a smart feature and selling point of the speaker that I wish they had just kept dumb.

I have always thought that a core feature with "smart" speakers with various DSP parameters should be that when you are connected digitally with, in this case L6 Link, the Helix should have a screen or just an area perhaps on the Helix's output block where the speaker settings are indicated and can be changed remotely from the Helix. I think you may be able to do this for instance with the Behringer X32 boards when connected to a Turbosound IQ speaker although they may require a PC and USB connection for remote operation, not sure. Either way it would nice to see bi-directional communication between digital devices, at the very least ones made by the same company. Changing the speaker settings would be more convenient and more likely to be double-checked if you did not have to flip the speaker around and could manage them from the Helix.

Well I spent today tweaking my presets and found that, as I mainly use Ir's, all I had to do was change the high and low cuts and they sound great. Had to cut the delay and reverb mixes slightly as they sounded too saturated. Thanks for the feedback guys.

• Upvote 1

Well I spent today tweaking my presets and found that, as I mainly use Ir's, all I had to do was change the high and low cuts and they sound great. Had to cut the delay and reverb mixes slightly as they sounded too saturated. Thanks for the feedback guys.

that's great........When are you going to reform Rockpile??!

• Upvote 1