Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for suggestions for small form factor amp sim

OasisMcFly

I've been using a combo of my HD500x and some analog pedals that I feed into the front end of the pod. It started as a way to offload some effects to free up the dsp within the pod, but it has rapidly grown into an obsession with adding more and more analog pedals.

I love the flexibility of the pod. It's one of the reasons why I never felt compelled to buy an amp. But now I have enough pedals that I want to diversify a bit. I want to split the pedals up into a main board and a practice board. I'll keep the Pod on the main board with a few analog pedals, but since I don't have an amp, it leaves my practice board lacking.

I considered buying a second HD500X, but I'd like to simplify things for the practice board, so I think I only really need an amp sim, preferably one that doesn't take up too much board real estate. Would something like the Pod HD desktop be worth it, or is there a better alternative that you guys might recommend? Since I primarily hook straight to a PA or an FRFR, I'd prefer something with an XLR or some sort of balanced output.

Any suggestions?

I've been gigging with the POD HD Desktop direct to PA for a few years, which has been great in terms of sounds and small footprint. What's not so great is the clutter generated since my signal chain is: Wireless Receiver->POD Guitar Input->POD Left unbalanced Output to DI Box. Also consider the power connection, and the ethernet cable to a FBV. I throw all that into a translucent Sterilite plastic box. I have to separate the POD and the Wireless box with sheet metal to prevent drop outs. It makes it hard to troubleshoot connections if something goes wrong because it's a mess of cables in that box. Otherwise, when there's no trouble it works fantastic.