Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to record into Garage Band?

Hi. I'm sure this has been answered, but I've searched repeatedly in the forums and can't find it.    

I've got my Variax.  I'd like to record into Garage Band without having to buy a mixer or pod or what have you.  Is there a way to get the guitar to record directly in Garage Band via the cable?

No, I haven't tried it yet as I don't have the interface cable and will need to buy one, so asking before going down that road.

Thanks!

You'll need some kinda interface between the Variax and the Mac. You can't interface the Variax directly to the Mac and record the guitar sounds, even with the Variax USB connection kit.

• Upvote 1

I have an IK Multimedia iRig2 which can hook up my JTV59 to GarageBand on the iPad or even record on the iPhone with AmpliTube. If you have an older Variax without mag pups I think the iRig should work just fine by using the 1/4 inch jack out. I guess you are not using the VDI cable as you state you didn't want to buy a mixer or a POD.

Note: If you have a Variax you really should save up and get a POD to make the best of it. Sell everything you don't need and buy a Helix!

Link for details:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/

• Upvote 1

Sorry, meant imac, not ipad or phone. But good info, thank you both.

Ah! If you want to go 1/4 inch jack from Variax to iMac USB port you may want to check out this cheap device.

Behringer UCG102

Should get you where you want to be.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UCY-BBpiZxo

Video - How to get up and running

• 1 month later...

I go directly from my JT59 into Logic Pro on my MacBook Pro using just this adapter. I just plug into the mic input. It works perfectly but I don't believe they are available from Monster Cable anymore. It should be easy enough to make one though. It's a mono 1/4 inch to stereo 3.5mm.

post-2517953-0-92767200-1492284888_thumb.jpg