Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Relay G10 - I can hear difference compared to cable

marco3253

Really nobody can hear the difference? really?

I bought this G10 some days ago, really watching it for a while on website and youtube, everybody says that were no difference with the cable...

this sounded to me really optimist, but i thought that technology now is better than 10 years ago..so i thought that maybe it would be possible..

Schecter guitar with active pickups-> relay g10 -> receiver-> cable (the same i used for playing with cable) -> POD HD500x -> L6 Link -> DT25 combo

ok, the volume could change, we can have drop out etc, it is a wifi system, i accept that, but changing the color and the sound no..

I spent years to reach the perfect sound, i have patches on the pod saved on dropbox cause i'm afraid to lost that patches, but this is what i can hear as difference

Clean sound -> not so much a difference, really, i cannot hear difference between cable/g10

Distorted Rhythm -> more highs with g10, a more fuzzy sound in general, less definition and less harmonics (no valves sounds at all, seems to be back at the pod with direct out) anyway the sound is creepy, and i'm afraid to change the parameters of the patch to try to "fine tune" the eq to obtain the same sound as before (cable)

Solo patch -> i have a really dark sound for solo, cause i like to alternate picking with neck pickup and hear that petrucci effect like a keyboard, with g10 no mids at all, all my power to go through the other instruments playing disappear...i cannot pierce through other instruments...

Anyway...i loved for years to have a wireless system, but i love more having the patches and the perfect sounds searched for years also, so i guess i'm coming back to cable and sell the g10 :(

I personally have never encountered any noticeable change in tone when using the G10 with clean or gain sounds. Perhaps try doing as jbuhajla has recommended and letting us know if that has helped! 

• Upvote 1

I am thinking it's an impedance issue going from the G10 to your POD. Have you tried changing input-Z in your HD500?

Thank you for answering

No i did not try this yet, now i guess is set to AUTO as a global parameter, i don't really understood what this parameter is for, should i set to a particular value for the G10?

Settin it to auto should "talks" automatically with another line6 device, anyway if you know what value to set i can try.

I also ran A/B recording tests using a Fender 3m cable and the G10 and cannot tell the difference tone wise. (that, going out via the normal TS cable, not the XLR)

how can you switch so fast (A/B) from cable to G10 ?

Every time i have to pullout the cable from the receiver, put in my guitar after removing the transmitter, it takes like 10 seconds to do...

i would like to compare A/B fast switch...

Anyway i guess that i can record via USB some riff in both ways and let you hear the differences, maybe this can be a more scientific test.