Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help with helix speaker

Scottadkins19

What would you recommend to run the helix throug?. Kinda looking into a jbl eon612. Has anyone had any luck with this or have a suggestion? I'm not really wanting to spend a bunch of money on something. Also my volume pedal when tocked all the way back only goes to 34%. Can someone help?

As far as your pedal, this thread may be the answer for you.  http://line6.com/support/topic/19026-expression-pedal-calibration/

When it comes to speaker output, there's a pretty big range of answers there.  The only thing that bothers me a bit with the JBL's is the separate gain and master volume controls.  Most modern FRFR powered speakers like the Alto's, QSC's, or Yamaha's simply have a volume control and gain is automatically managed by the DSL with an overall signal limiter built into the logic.  The JBL's deviate from this both in the gain/master volume as well as in the configurations.  The powered speakers most often used tend to only have configurations for use as a monitor or as a FOH speaker.  Also there's no low-cut switch which is also common on the types of speakers I referenced.

If price is a consideration you might want to look as the Alto TS212's as they seem to be pretty popular around here and are priced in the same range as the EON's.

• Upvote 1

Okay thanks. The link didn't help me with the pedal issue however. I've messed with the settings I think it's a hardware problem. I haven't looked into the alto but I do see what your saying about the gain and low cut. The qsc and Yamaha are both pretty pricy. If I were to spend that much I'd just go with the Friedman asm. I'm not really sure what route to go. I use a jbl lsr 305 most of the time and like it pretty well. I don't have a complaint about it. Just looking for more volume incase I play with people.

If you're in the US and you're ok with buying used, I highly recommend keeping your eye on Guitar Center's used gear page.  I picked up 2 brand new looking Stagesources, an L2t and an L2m for $500 and $400 respectively.  GC checks the gear, and you have 60 or 90 days I think to decide if you want to keep it.  And you can purchase pro coverage if you want a warranty.  Yeah, you gotta pay shipping, and warranty, but, at those prices, I think it's worth it.  The L2t even came with the rolling bag, which is an $85 dollar value right there, and I wasn't even expecting it.  I know GC gets a bad rap from a lot of people, but I've been very happy with their service.

• Upvote 2

:ph34r:

I really wanted the devil emo...

I dunno, I don't go in to GC without already having done my homework.  It's a store.  To buy things in.  Expecting all the help there to be pros with pro knowledge is like walking into Home Depot for advice.  It's a store.  They sell things.  I figure out what I want, how much I want to pay, and I buy stuff.  I've been very happy with the prices I've paid for stuff at GC. 

I like being able to walk into a store to see what's out there; all the stores around Boston, and even the ones I've visited around the country have had a decent selection of stuff when I'm looking for something, and I like the ability to walk in to see what's available if I want to try something.  If I'm patient I've scored lots of stuff at great (relatively) prices, some at REALLY great prices.  And if something's not working, they have a great return policy.  What more do I need?  I personally want to see them stay in business.

• Upvote 1

If you're in the US and you're ok with buying used, I highly recommend keeping your eye on Guitar Center's used gear page.  I picked up 2 brand new looking Stagesources, an L2t and an L2m for $500 and $400 respectively.  GC checks the gear, and you have 60 or 90 days I think to decide if you want to keep it.  And you can purchase pro coverage if you want a warranty.  Yeah, you gotta pay shipping, and warranty, but, at those prices, I think it's worth it.  The L2t even came with the rolling bag, which is an $85 dollar value right there, and I wasn't even expecting it.  I know GC gets a bad rap from a lot of people, but I've been very happy with their service.

I don't mind buying used ill deffinatly keep an eye out. What is everyone else using?

I don't mind buying used ill deffinatly keep an eye out. What is everyone else using?

:) That's like asking what kind of car people like to drive.

First of all, you need to decide how much you want to spend.  You can find options from ~$100-$200 to $1000-$2000 / speaker.

Second, how loud do you want to get.

Popular options I've seen are on the lowish end of the price range are the QSC's, the Alto's, and Yamaha DXR/DBR's and a few like the JBL Eons and the like.

Mid-range go from the Stagesource L2t/m's, and a Firehawk 1500 or DT-25/50, or any number of amps and cabs. 

Higher end, many people enjoy the Freidman and CLR cabs, and any number of amps and cabs.

If price is a consideration you might want to look as the Alto TS212's as they seem to be pretty popular around here and are priced in the same range as the EON's.

Price WAS a big consideration for me and that's exactly what I bought after doing some research. I'm pleased with it! Just keep in mind that you have to mount it on an amp stand or pole, otherwise there will be coupling with the floor and it'll be extremely bass heavy. I learned that the hard way and built my patches with gobs of low cut until someone here hipped me to this. After getting a pole and retweaking everything, the Helix and the Alto are sounding pretty great together!

:ph34r:

I really wanted the devil emo...

I dunno, I don't go in to GC without already having done my homework.  It's a store.  To buy things in.  Expecting all the help there to be pros with pro knowledge is like walking into Home Depot for advice.  It's a store.  They sell things.

Except salespeople at Home Depot are practically geniuses compared to most of the ones at GC. I've gotten pretty pissed off a couple times over there (I'll spare you the details) and I'm not a guy who gets in that state easily (my wife says I'm the calmest person she's ever known). I'm conflicted about buying there, but the bottom line is that being a corporation, they have better prices than other walk-in stores (not to mention the 30 day guarantee)... and I don't have a lot of money. For the most part, I'll only go there if it's an emergency; like some piece of gear dying on a day when I have a gig that evening. 

• Upvote 2

Price WAS a big consideration for me and that's exactly what I bought after doing some research. I'm pleased with it! Just keep in mind that you have to mount it on an amp stand or pole, otherwise there will be coupling with the floor and it'll be extremely bass heavy. I learned that the hard way and built my patches with gobs of low cut until someone here hipped me to this. After getting a pole and retweaking everything, the Helix and the Alto are sounding pretty great together!

Okay thanks for all the input. I hadn't looked o to the alto. Musician's friend has them for 275 after a rebate right now. What pole do you use?

I too have had very good experiences (the majority of the time) dealing with GC. Often the gear I decide to get, is not inventoried in their stores. I'll typically wait until that have a 20% discount offer, and then order what I want. They ship at no charge directly from their Kansas City Distribution Center to my local GC store location. Once I see it there if it is not to my liking, I simply have them process the return refund to my credit card. This has worked out very well. The GC Call Center Supervisors/Team Leaders I deal with on the phone never seem to mind and are happy to serve. They were the ones to suggest ordering several of the same guitars (model and color) to select the best from the bunch. I've also ordered, similar hard shell cases, studio and PA monitors, etc. that were not in the store to be able to select the best for my needs once they arrived. Plus, even if you do take them home, you've still got 30 or 45 days to return them if they don't suit your needs.

As for speakers, I kept a pair of JBL LSR308 (preferrring them over the 305s and Yamaha HS8's) for near field use with my Helix. I also wound up getting a pair of Yamaha DXR10 for dual mono or stereo use as wedges or backline. These also work incredibly well Wet-Dry-Wet with the Helix and my 2x12 combo amp! I did not care for the sound of the Alto's! And, although I do normally like JBLs and have several pairs of their speakers, I found the Yamahas to be smoother and more refined than the EONs. The Yamaha DBR series are less expensive than the DXR series, sound nearly identical and are an exceptional value.

Okay thanks for all the input. I hadn't looked o to the alto. Musician's friend has them for 275 after a rebate right now. What pole do you use?

You realize that this is dangerously close to starting a debate about which speaker pole makes it sound the best, right? ;)

Unless it's some ultra-cheap crap that looks like it'll fall over when Gramps blows out his birthday candles, they're all the same.😉

Loving a pole-mounted L2t.  I actually got a pristine, used L2t from MF.  Subsequently, I bought a heavy duty metal pole from MF on sale for $25.  I really like the simplicity of the setup, the sound, and the and the L6 Link.  Still waiting for integration with my DT50 via the L6 Link, however.

Now, I am slightly hacked off that Line 6 is offering the Helix backpack for free with the purchase of the Helix during March.  I suppose they are seeking an edge over their competition with Fractal and, now, Headrush.  Where was the freebie a year ago when I purchased the Helix? 

It was an "On-Stage" mini adjustable speaker stand; just a nickel short of $24 at Sweetwater. It was about the cheapest I could find, but it's sturdy enough. 

Many of the FRFR powered speakers are equipped with a 'monitor' setting which corrects for the bass coupling.  In addition a lot of them come with low cut filters.  I leave mine on the floor all the time, but it's set for 'monitor' as well as I have a low-cut engaged at 125hz.  That keeps the bass nice and tight.

I guess I always assumed the contour switch on the TS212 served the purpose of contouring the resonse to correct for bass coupling, but I guess I was wrong.

Many of the FRFR powered speakers are equipped with a 'monitor' setting which corrects for the bass coupling.  In addition a lot of them come with low cut filters.  I leave mine on the floor all the time, but it's set for 'monitor' as well as I have a low-cut engaged at 125hz.  That keeps the bass nice and tight.

I guess I always assumed the contour switch on the TS212 served the purpose of contouring the resonse to correct for bass coupling, but I guess I was wrong.

What do you use? Sorry if I missed it.

Personally use the JBL PRX715s. This is because I have the pa system. 2 prx715 and 2 prx718xlf.

If you ever plan on owning a full pa at any point in your life I'd recommend the prx715. Why biy things twice. At that it is an extremely nice active speaker that can be had for a dollar and a dream right now if you look around. JBL released the prx800 series and the stores are selling off the 700 series mich cheaper, if they still have any, under jbl's request to get the new line on the shelves.

We're talking a system that was $800 - $900 per top and $1100 - $1300 per sub. Can be had for $600 - $650 per top and $700 - $800 per sub now. A significant savings on a very nice setup.

Personal experience.

The only mains (meaning frfr speaker) I could recommend in competition to the prx700 would be the yamaha dsr system; without an extreme price hike.

Eons are kinda garbage. I would avoid those as well as the Mackie stuff. I've get the prx700 speakers, our singer has 3 mackie speakers we use as monitors.... Not impressed.

The yamaha dxr's arent bad. They're a step down from the jbl prx and yahama dsr's for sure... A bit harsh but you could try to tune that out a little.

Again some of this is subjective but is also apparent when you compare original specs on these. This is personal experience. Have been running sound for a bit and compared many many speakers for about 3 months before buying the jbl prx715s. I even drove hours and hours to listen and test this gear because there really isnt anything local.

Scottadkins19,

Regarding your Vol pedal issue, I'm presuming you have a Volume Block defined. Check the Minimum Value Parameter to be see if that may be set to the 34% value you are encountering.

Yeah but when I sweep it up and back it goes back to 34%. Idk if I'm doing something wrong or if it's broke.

2 Alesis Alpha 112s here, $400 shipped for the pair new on eBay. For stands, got 2 Yorkville SKS02B, short ones, $38 @ Full Compass, but one was defective, popped a rivet first time I set it up, FC sent another.

The 112s are good but not great IMO. A tad bright to my ear, and nowhere near the advertised SPL, which I mostly don't need. Still, pretty good, and very cost effective. Would love a pair of DXR10s, but money.