Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Editor on OS X frequent crashes

johnplanetz

I just got my Helix a couple days ago, and have been working on making a ton of presets.  Loving it!

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

First thing I did when receiving the Helix was installed the latest Editor 2.11 and updater, installed the latest Helix Firmware 2.12. I followed the instructions to the letter- updated the global/presets/etc...

When making presets, I'm loving working from the Helix itself, but I don't love entering snapshot/preset names, so I like to have the Editor attached to use the Mac keyboard.  However, the Editor crashes really frequently.  Most often, when I'm using the Helix joystick to change block models. I can reproduce this in under 30 seconds. I attached an example crash report.  Usually I can just reopen the Editor.  However, sometimes it hangs the Helix until I physically unplug the usb cable.

Nothing I've tried changes the behavior.

I've tried the USB cable provided with the Helix, and a different cable.  

I've restarted my Mac and quit other apps.

What am I missing?

Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

John

Helix Crash Log.txt

I just got my Helix a couple days ago, and have been working on making a ton of presets.  Loving it!

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

First thing I did when receiving the Helix was installed the latest Editor 2.11 and updater, installed the latest Helix Firmware 2.12. I followed the instructions to the letter- updated the global/presets/etc...

When making presets, I'm loving working from the Helix itself, but I don't love entering snapshot/preset names, so I like to have the Editor attached to use the Mac keyboard.  However, the Editor crashes really frequently.  Most often, when I'm using the Helix joystick to change block models. I can reproduce this in under 30 seconds. I attached an example crash report.  Usually I can just reopen the Editor.  However, sometimes it hangs the Helix until I physically unplug the usb cable.

Nothing I've tried changes the behavior.

I've tried the USB cable provided with the Helix, and a different cable.  

I've restarted my Mac and quit other apps.

What am I missing?

Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

John

The first think I would try is alternate USB ports, including switching other USB peripherals around to different ports.

I use the editor with almost exactly the same setup.

I get an occasional hang or loss of connection.

One thing that I suspect is at least part of your problem is that there is significant delay between the Helix and the USB/editor.

Maybe that's something Line 6 will optimize one day??

I do all my editing in the editor - I suspect if you get far enough ahead of the editor by using the Helix directly you will crash the application.

The speed of that communication is very slow. Don't know why - it's just something I deal with. Try not to get ahead of the editor - let it see each change before you do the next - but then, I suspect that's why you are editing on the Helix - its faster!

All I can suggest is you either chill a little, or you learn to live with the crashes - I'd try the first one - the potential for some corruption of a patch is somewhat high with constant crashing.

I use the editor with almost exactly the same setup. I get an occasional hang or loss of connection. One thing that I suspect is at least part of your problem is that there is significant delay between the Helix and the USB/editor. Maybe that's something Line 6 will optimize one day?? I do all my editing in the editor - I suspect if you get far enough ahead of the editor by using the Helix directly you will crash the application. The speed of that communication is very slow. Don't know why - it's just something I deal with. Try not to get ahead of the editor - let it see each change before you do the next - but then, I suspect that's why you are editing on the Helix - its faster! All I can suggest is you either chill a little, or you learn to live with the crashes - I'd try the first one - the potential for some corruption of a patch is somewhat high with constant crashing.

That does seem to be the case.  Move too fast in Helix, and it'll crash the editor.  

Since I'm a newbie when it comes to Helix editing, maybe there's more streamlined ways to make edits.   For example, when changing a block model-- I press the joystick to see the list, then rotate it to scroll through the selections. If I change the model selection a few times, it'll crash the editor. Do you see that too?

In short, it sounds like you're saying "don't use the editor unless you'll make your edits in the editor".  I can just run the editor when i want to type in the the names and then quit it.  That's reasonable I guess (though I hope Line 6 can improve this!)  

No, Actually what I'm saying is only use the Editor.  Except for a few global settings you can't access through the Editor - (another thing that needs to be addressed).

Well, maybe you find the editor frustrating?  I actually prefer using the editor.

It's fast enough for me - the graphics don't update as fast as the commands - just change snapshots on the board and watch the time it takes to update in the interface.

But I'm not having any problem living with that.............

But I am saying be careful mixing the 2 together.

That's my experience - be interesting to hear if this is a general experience or just for Mac users with similar OS/hardware configs?

• Upvote 1

Hummm, It seems that I've read elsewhere where Macbook Pros have issues with the Helix Editor more than other hardware. I don't know why that was now or even if that was a part of something else too, sorry. Was there perhaps a USB 2 versus 3 thing that was causing issues? Just don't remember now.