Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can the Helix create a hold / freeze effect?

markblack77

There's probably more than one way to do something like this on Helix. Here's a couple of presets: sound.on.sound.zip

The sound on sound preset originally came from forum member Arislaf. Slightly modified by me to use snapshots to change the condition on the particle verb. The second preset, lead pulse, is a sort of variation on this whole idea. I use this preset in my latest song.

I have an original Freeze pedal but man, I love that Z-CAT! On my list for sure!

Thanks for sharing...:)

(Btw no, the Helix can't do the same. BigSky from Strymon does this pretty good)

There's probably more than one way to do something like this on Helix. Here's a couple of presets: attachicon.gifsound.on.sound.zip

The sound on sound preset originally came from forum member Arislaf. Slightly modified by me to use snapshots to change the condition on the particle verb. The second preset, lead pulse, is a sort of variation on this whole idea. I use this preset in my latest song.

Thanks for that - I'll have a play.

OK, so I didn't get this working as such. path 1 is the freeze / drone effect. Play a note into this loop it quickly to get it to drone the note. Then mute this path and let it loop(play) then I can play over the top of that droning not with path 2.

But I did build a drone patch - I can't change the drone note on the fly is the obvious flaw.

PATH 1:

mute(gain block) -> looper -> into synth effect -> reverb

the synth smoothes out the loop so it dosen't have tempo and gives you a drone note to play over.

PATH 2:

Set up as normal rig.

3c3a069a9b.jpg

If you do a parallel path. Tie the split a/B parameter to a momentary button and tie the reverb decay to a momentary button. When you want to freeze, push the momentary switch and have the reverb decay go to 100% decay and adjust mix as necessary to keep it from feeding back infinitely. Have the split a/b black go 100 percent to the other path and now you can play through the parallel path without adding to the reverb. This should work pretty well. You could also do it with a snap shot.

If you do a parallel path. Tie the split a/B parameter to a momentary button and tie the reverb decay to a momentary button. When you want to freeze, push the momentary switch and have the reverb decay go to 100% decay and adjust mix as necessary to keep it from feeding back infinitely. Have the split a/b black go 100 percent to the other path and now you can play through the parallel path without adding to the reverb. This should work pretty well. You could also do it with a snap shot.

I'll give that a try (once I get me head around it  :) ) 

cheers for the reply...

Had a go now if I could work out if there's a way to trigger the record function of the looper as I trigger the route to the looper path and then get it stop as I press it again.

what I need to do is capture the sound and then micro loop that through the synth to give one note to play over the top of.

patch attached incase anyone's interested.

55f6960501.png

DRONE.hlx.zip

This might help as a decent starting point- http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1615879/

It might be a little overly ambient, but the idea is to tie the "feedback" of a delay to the expression pedal so it goes from a normal amount to 100% (can be done with a foot switch too).  On that same delay you'll want to have "trails" set to on.  When the feedback is at 100%, whatever you play gets put into that pad.  To stop adding to the pad turn the delay off.  To remove the pad, pull the expression pedal down.  

There are some other fun things going on in this patch too, but play around with the "pad delay" to get a freeze type effect to work for you.  The same madman who brought you the Adriatic delay and the Litigator model came up with this preset.  Its been a huge hit when I show it to folks.

This might help as a decent starting point- http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1615879/

It might be a little overly ambient, but the idea is to tie the "feedback" of a delay to the expression pedal so it goes from a normal amount to 100% (can be done with a foot switch too).  On that same delay you'll want to have "trails" set to on.  When the feedback is at 100%, whatever you play gets put into that pad.  To stop adding to the pad turn the delay off.  To remove the pad, pull the expression pedal down.  

There are some other fun things going on in this patch too, but play around with the "pad delay" to get a freeze type effect to work for you.  The same madman who brought you the Adriatic delay and the Litigator model came up with this preset.  Its been a huge hit when I show it to folks.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

It was fun to play around - but in the end I bought a S/H Freeze (then modded it to take an external expression pedal :) )

I'm now going to split the signal so the freeze has a path of it's own to add effects to without effecting the guitar sound using a Y splitter and have one input into the guitar in and one into the AUX (freeze).

The helix is just so good when you want to try things.

e5c1defa25.jpg

e5c198098a.jpg

• 3 years later...

you can do it with any delay block, feedback 100% with tails active, momentary footswitch on bypass state, hit the button, it grabs whatever is going through it, release button and it holds it forever...

only problem is with the delay units there's no way to clear the buffer without turning down the feedback again manually. I really wish there was the setting to clear the delay buffers on bypass, while also somehow holding tails, that would make every delay the equivalent to that $300 freeze pedal...

you could momentarially open a runaway oscillating modulating tape machine, feed it some little tidbit of noise, then get off of the footswitch while it runs away, then hit the switch again and it goes dead silent empty and starts again from scratch. If you want to stop the runway just tap the switch quick without playing

...2 hours later: ok so you can assign more than one function to a switch, try this, delay bypass on momentary FS1, delay feedback on momentary FS1, feedback inverted to min=100 max=0, so FS1 bypass state turns off the delay (with tails active) and turns up feedback to 100, holding whatever was in it to infinity. With tape modulation and distortion it gets real nice as it washes out. Hit the button to activate delay and grab something else, it puts the feedback at 0 whenever you turn the delay back on, it doesn't wipe the buffer all at once but it overwrites that section of the buffer for as long as you hold the button down, you can tap it real fast and grab noises and make a patchwork of insanity by tapping the button real fast and playing all over the place with noises and scratches and bends. (warning: preset makes noise by itself) I HAVEN'T HAD THIS MUCH FUN IN A LONG TIME

Mars Page.hlx

• Like 1