Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is this the norm?

I got a new Variax Standard this week, as a guitar I love it but it does have an issue.

There is bad high frequency resonating particularly on the open D string, you can here it on a quick recording at https://soundcloud.com/james-murphy-445826257/variax

It is at it worst on the Lester models, and there is a hint of it on the magnet pickups.

Is it easily sorted? At the moment I am thinking I will have to return it :(

Pick-up is too close to the string, so there's a slight warbling through the piezos.

It's a set-up thing. Have it checked by a Line 6 authorized service,they will have access

to service info to deal with that.

I actually don't know much about the wiring of these guitars, so I'm just trying to understand your answer. I thought the piezo's were at the saddles. The height of the magnetic pups will affect how the piezo sounds?

Magnets pull on the strings. So instead of a purely transverse string vibration, there is a pull down

component on the strings from the pick-up pole pieces. This creates a circle motion vibration, and so

the strings no longer cut the magnetic field perpendicularly, it is also parallel to the field (creating null

points in the field). Rather complex frequency and field physics.

Going in and out of these nulls injects a beat frequency (modulating freq) within the string vibrating frequency

(fundamental freq). This becomes the artifact known as "warbling".

It occurs when the pick-ups are too close to the strings, and is especially noticeable when the piezos are engaged

when Modeling is on, since the piezos are sensitive and amplify the warbling. Not something you hear that easily

with a guitar with passive electronics, but can be audible with those too,... if you know what to listen for.

Having light gauge string that can be pulled by the pick-up magnets are susceptible as well.

The set-up (neck relief, action, intonation, tremolo tension and pick-up height) should be checked and spec'd out

by a Line 6 authorized tech who knows the product, and access to the correct service info,... while still under warranty.

It's a guitar with spy satellite grade electronics in it,... but the electronics are not MIL-Spec.  :D 

Fortunately, these electronics don't talk to the Central Intel, DHS or the NSA. We get enough of

that from the phone company (AT&T, San Francisco, 7th floor tap onto the incoming international

call's cable line trunking).

Fortunately, these electronics don't talk to the Central Intel, DHS or the NSA. We get enough of

that from the phone company (AT&T, San Francisco, 7th floor tap onto the incoming international

call's cable line trunking).

Pay no attention to the black helicopter that you'll see circling your neighborhood when you get home tonight...I'm sure it's nothing. ;)

Pick-up is too close to the string, so there's a slight warbling through the piezos.

It's a set-up thing. Have it checked by a Line 6 authorized service,they will have access

to service info to deal with that.

Thanks psarkissian, good to know that it is something that should be easily sorted.

I will adjust the pickup heights to see if I can improve it, if not I will get in touch with Line 6 support, do you know that the pickup heights should be?  I had a quick search for the service manual but no luck, as it is certainly something I can do here rather than ship the guitar off to get sorted.

I'm glad you posted here.  I wouldn't have seen the post and psarkissian's explanation and solution are valid for all variaxes.

Thank you for all your support Mr. psarkissian (for lack of a better name to use)

(I'm still embarrassed I didn't recognize the modulation issue I was having when using alternate tunings was only because I was playing my guitar at a lower volume and I could hear the strings as well as my amp :-/  Thanks again to all that helped me through that)