Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bricked Helix while updating info that may help.

pstenton

Hi, spent 8 hours trying to update my brand new unplayed Helix to latest firmware yesterday. After reinstalling latest uploader and helix app a million times, reverting back to previous installs, trying to manually reboot with various footswitch configurations, updating my Windows OS and sitting in the lotus position while praying to the heavens and eating a KitKat in perfect 3cm sections it turns out that the Helix just likes a very strong USB connection. I finally had success with plugging into a rear port of a good tower pc in update mode (footswitches 6 and 12 on startup). So if this happens to you, think of any friend that has a good gaming or music pc and plead them to let you update your pride and joy through their machine. I want to save you 8 hours of hell. If one person benefits from this Info then it was worth posting. Thanks for listening.

• Upvote 1

Hi, spent 8 hours trying to update my brand new unplayed Helix to latest firmware yesterday. After reinstalling latest uploader and helix app a million times, reverting back to previous installs, trying to manually reboot with various footswitch configurations, updating my Windows OS and sitting in the lotus position while praying to the heavens and eating a KitKat in perfect 3cm sections it turns out that the Helix just likes a very strong USB connection. I finally had success with plugging into a rear port of a good tower pc in update mode (footswitches 6 and 12 on startup). So if this happens to you, think of any friend that has a good gaming or music pc and plead them to let you update your pride and joy through their machine. I want to save you 8 hours of hell. If one person benefits from this Info then it was worth posting. Thanks for listening.

A lesson for all. Glad you finally managed to get up and running - although there are many, many discussions on this forum, about a variety of issues with USB. You are correct in thinking you need a good connection when updating. It's a good idea to try all the front and rear USB slots on your computer to find the best and check out your cables. Also some PC's may suffer from power management problems, such as having a port "go to sleep" while using the Editor software connected to the Helix. That has freaked out a few users. Technology - it's such an amazing thing until it gets FUBAR.

Right! I'm of to chop a KitKat into 3cm chunks, in the hope that the latest firmware will appear soon.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, so far my updates have gone completely to plan.  (I'm not pretending I wasn't in lotus position, praying to gods of helix and power supply and eating kit kat i perfect 3cm bites just to be sure though).

BTW, for any computer inclined Helix users, there is a great free PC utility program by the name of PortMon. It can be very useful to debug what's going on with USB port activity. In assisting with the development of some Amateur Radio rig control an editing software that interfaced with the Transceiver via USB, this program was able to show the pounding the USB port was subjected to by the software and the rig. It is not entirely dissimilar from what is likely going on when Helix is USB computer connected for use with Helix Editor and/or DAW/VST. It has been a few years since I've used the program, but it is incredibly revealing! Not sure if it is also available for Mac.

pstenton, care to share the make and model of the culprit computer with the problematic USB?

Yes, its a Packard Bell Easynote TS11HR. 8gb ram. Intel core i5. It's quite and old machine now running windows 7. It seems the trick is to find a stable USB that works and stick to it.

Device manager - Universal serial bus controllers - Right click the appropriate port and select properties. Select Power Management and untick Allow Computer To Turn Off. If you can not identify the exact port then do them all. I do this on all my desktops anyway. Power saving features in Windows are mostly beneficial to laptops. Empty ports will have power present but nothing drawing current so no power wasted. The program PortLaw mentioned above works well and will help you identify the exact port your helix is using if you are interested in narrowing it down to one. Also, sometimes drivers will associate with the first port used and will only work with that port thereafter. I haven't experienced this since XP but it happens. Good luck and enjoy your Helix.

Device manager - Universal serial bus controllers - Right click the appropriate port and select properties. Select Power Management and untick Allow Computer To Turn Off. If you can not identify the exact port then do them all. I do this on all my desktops anyway. Power saving features in Windows are mostly beneficial to laptops. Empty ports will have power present but nothing drawing current so no power wasted. The program PortLaw mentioned above works well and will help you identify the exact port your helix is using if you are interested in narrowing it down to one. Also, sometimes drivers will associate with the first port used and will only work with that port thereafter. I haven't experienced this since XP but it happens. Good luck and enjoy your Helix.

Well done joemoder, that is some very useful info. Next update I will try your tips and see if I can get the helix to update through the laptop knowing I have a fall back with my tower if it bricks up again. Thanks for posting. The Helix is awesome.