Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Update and the Variax HD Software

musicimpossible

The upcoming update states: "Variax Workbench HD Support—Variax can now communicate directly with Variax Workbench HD software (Mac/PC) through Helix via USB."

What does that mean as far as connectivity? Currently, we Variax users need to plug the guitar into the USB interface and the Helix 1/4" in front in order to use the Workbench and Helix sims. That's what I do in the studio anyway. 

How will this change?

You won't need the USB interface. The Helix will do what it was doing, plus you won't need a separate 1/4" connection for audio. The Helix's VDI javk will provide power, communication and audio for the Variax.

A month ago when this update was announced I glossed over this feature with a "meh"

Since then I've got a JTV and now eagerly awaiting the HD integration. Will be so nice to be able to just connect the JTV to the Helix with a VDI cable then USB out of my Helix to my Mac and use Workbench and Helix editor at the same time.

Is this just for the Variax HD, or will it allow editing of the older models? I have a 700

Mike

This feature will allow Helix to be used as a Workbench HD interface device. It will not affect Workbench HD itself, which remains incompatible with older Variax models.

You won't need the USB interface. The Helix will do what it was doing, plus you won't need a separate 1/4" connection for audio. The Helix's VDI javk will provide power, communication and audio for the Variax.

Oh My - Heaven - Thank you so much. I cannot wait to turn my non believing studio pals around. I have not used my Variax for about 6 months in anticipation due the cable hassle.