Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

More than 2 real amps

Shadowrunner

So, I've got three amps with fx loops and two without. My goal is to be able to switch between them all as needed.

I'm pretty sure it can't be done with just the Helix itself. So, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for external hardware, some kind of switching station or something.

Thanks!

That's an easy trick for Helix to pull off since it has 4 effects loops and lots of other inputs and outputs.  I've done that myself with a DT25, Randall RH100 and a Peavey Bravo 112.

You could run your amp that has the effects loop in 4 cable method.  That way you can take advantage of the entire amp or bypass the preamp at the press of a footswitch and use one of the Helix preamp models.

For the other 2 amps you just need to use Helix fx sends straight into the front of each amp.  Make sure you set the Helix fx sends to 'instrument' in the Global Settings.

So, I've got three amps with fx loops and two without. My goal is to be able to switch between them all as needed.

I'm pretty sure it can't be done with just the Helix itself. So, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for external hardware, some kind of switching station or something.

Thanks!

Crikey!! ;)

Helix has 4 1/4in Sends and the two 1/4 inch outs ready to connect to connect to amps - so you could theoretically get Helix to switch between 6 amps this way with clever routing.  If fact - if you use the two XLRs as well (wth the proper XLR - 1/4in unbalanced jack cables) you could connect 8 amps.   Those 8 amps would be connected straight into the amps front panel.

Are you hoping to be able to use the 3 amps with FX loops in 4cm?

If you want to be able to use an amp in 4cm - you would need an extra Send/Output from Helix

i.e. - the 3 amps with FX loops would need to use 6 of these 8 outs available, so there would still be 2 left for the non fx-loop ones.  

so.. Yes it is possible with Helix - but it would be rather tricky to set up.

What do you want to get out of it?  How do you want the selection to operate?

Do you want just 5 simple A,B,C,D,E on/off buttons that would send your guitar signal to each amp (or not) - so you could manually choose which amp to send the guitar to? If so how would that work with the 4cm? (if you're planning to use that?)  When you pressed Amp A should it route the signal through the 4cm of amp A as well as send the signal to it's power amp?  What I am saying is... by using 4cm you could if you wanted use the Preamp of Amp C with the Power amp of Amp A.  Or not.  Up to you!

Are you hoping to use any of their power amps as a stereo pair?  Or will it always be mono?  Will you be setting up 3 amps as Wet/Dry/Wet?

Many questions that equal many ways of setting it up - with many headaches of routing it all along the way ;)

(NB.  I've tried running Helix with 3 amps (in 4cm) before plus the XLRs into a pair of FRFRs so I've had "5 amps" foot selectable before.  It was fun) 

No, I'm not looking to mix preamps and power amps or anything crazy like that. I'm not even looking to have more than one amp in the same preset.

It's a convenience thing so I don't have to switch cables around all the time, just hit a button or two

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

I've been reading through this thread as I want to use my DT50 & my acoustic amp with the helix but switch between the 2 or have them both playing at the same time..

would be greatly appreciated if anyone could tell me how to set up the switching like using the helix as an aby as I'm new to all this & havent a clue at the moment lol

Cheers in advance anyway 😊