Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

the rack has more external control pedal inputs is that true

bryanblackburn

I notice the rack has 3 of these plus an input for a pedal switch as well. Then you add on the control it has another 3 inputs. Is this then giving me the ability to use these as controllers. Also I have some old Roland dual switch controllers are these inputs able to be used to act with switches like an fs6 or fs7? 

• Upvote 1

The rack has more inputs for external expression pedals, yes, but it lacks the on-board expression pedal and toe switch. So the additional expression pedal input and the switch are there to provide that same functionality.

As far as using using the external pedal jacks for switches, there is a way you can do it, but a normal latching footswitch won't work. There are a few companies that make footswitches that let you toggle between the min and max expression positions, like this (select the Switchable Latching TS version). So with the auto-engage feature, you actually could use these as additional switches to turn effects on and off if you want.

Buy the rack and the controller, very nice paired up and pedal port problems are solved. I don't know about using the Yamaha FS6-7 midi controllers (they are TRS arnt they?) as I use an Ernie Ball Volume pedal and a Mission SP1-L6 controller for the wah.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FS6 this is the fs6

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FS7 this is the fs7

I only need one for the gp10 and I have them both. Perhaps when I decide to grab the helix these can help me out.

Thanks for the good news on the rack units. 

what appeals to me is getting the rack and then the separate controller since you can use the external 3 controllers on the foot controller plus the 3 on the helix rack and that makes6 usable controllers so that opens the door for some interesting strategies mixing tones, various guitars using a GP10 and a variax and all the FX in the units and even from additional pedals and units you hook up in the 4 effects loops.  

I will be interested in the vst version first to evaluate it but even if it is weak in a single area I figure it might have enough to warrant buying the rack and controller since you can then use it as a hub for all your rack effects and that plus the variax interaction will make it a must. 

what appeals to me is getting the rack and then the separate controller since you can use the external 3 controllers on the foot controller plus the 3 on the helix rack and that makes6 usable controllers so that opens the door for some interesting strategies mixing tones, various guitars using a GP10 and a variax and all the FX in the units and even from additional pedals and units you hook up in the 4 effects loops.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Helix Rack has no built-in pedal controllers. Neither does the Helix Control device but it supports 3 external pedals. A total of 3 expression pedals is the limit, using either Helix or Helix Rack plus Control.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FS6 this is the fs6

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FS7 this is the fs7

I only need one for the gp10 and I have them both. Perhaps when I decide to grab the helix these can help me out.

Thanks for the good news on the rack units. 

I will be interested in the vst version first to evaluate it but even if it is weak in a single area I figure it might have enough to warrant buying the rack and controller since you can then use it as a hub for all your rack effects and that plus the variax interaction will make it a must. 

The only input the FS6 or FS7 would work in would be the Exp Toe Switch jack, but that's kind of not the purpose it's they're for. It would work, though. The other expression pedal inputs are looking to be connected to something that sweeps between to resistive loads - a potentiometer, essentially. That footswitch I linked to above is that.

And Silverhead is correct, there aren't six external controllers. The jacks on the Control are the same thing as the ones on the Rack - that's to say if plug something into EXP2 on the Rack and EXP2 on the Control, they will always be controlling the same thing. The Helix sees those both as EXP2.

Crap so then you do not get extra abilities to have 6 controllers.

No, but if you need extra controllers, you can always use external midi devices. That is a much better way to add assorted control devices without worrying about the inputs on the Helix. It's also a portable solution that will work with just about any other digital effects processor.