Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix stuck at startup screen.

bobthedog

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had this problem before?

Just happened to me twice, third time It started.

Slightly worried :(

Andy

Is this happening only when the USB is plugged in, if so, reboot your computer and try a different USB port. Make sure you have the firmware and the Editor version matched up. If you have firmware version 2.12 you should have the 2.11 version of the Editor. Also, does this happen on every preset? You may want to try recreating the preset if it is only one causing the problem. If this happens continuously, particularly without the USB plugged in I would back everything up again, download the latest software again, back everything up and reflash the firmware. Make sure to do the global reset after reflashing. Good luck!

Mine did this at church yesterday. During the bootup on the "Helix" screen, the spiraling double helix automation stopped moving and it just sat there. I cycled power and it booted up correctly. I had no USB devices plugged in at the time. It was the first time I have experienced this issue. I am on v2.12. 

• 9 months later...

Folks, I'll go you one further. Got my HX yesterday, on first startup it got stuck in the firmware update window. After a few attempts I managed to do a factory reset, after which I was able to have my HX and my Mac recognise each other. After a few more false starts I finally, FINALLY got it to speak with HX Edit. Managed to have a play, so far so good. Now, tonight, on arriving home, the HX is stuck in the startup window, won't take a factory reset, as of now it's just a very expensive doorstop with boring lights on it. Anyone else experience similar problems?

I'm frankly disappointed with Line6 over this one.

Disappointed with Line 6? Have you tried contacting them?

So were actually able to get the firmware update to go through the first time, or did you just do the factory reset with the firmware that came with the unit?

Disappointed with Line 6? Have you tried contacting them?

So were actually able to get the firmware update to go through the first time, or did you just do the factory reset with the firmware that came with the unit?

Firstly, yes, I'm disappointed that i am not able to just get on with playing, as that's what I paid $1400 (Norwegian prices are high). As for the procedure, I followed the procedures suggested on this website, both the factory reset, which allowed me to get the HX and my Mac to recognise each other, enabling me to (after about three or four tries) to get Updater to install the latest firmware on the Helix. Today, it just won't do a thing, won't even allow me to do a factory reset with footswitch 9&10.

Firstly, yes, I'm disappointed that i am not able to just get on with playing, as that's what I paid $1400 (Norwegian prices are high). As for the procedure, I followed the procedures suggested on this website, both the factory reset, which allowed me to get the HX and my Mac to recognise each other, enabling me to (after about three or four tries) to get Updater to install the latest firmware on the Helix. Today, it just won't do a thing, won't even allow me to do a factory reset with footswitch 9&10.

On Facebook, there was someone who had a similar issue, and he narrowed it down to the power conditioner he was using. It seemed that having his phone charger plugged into it at the same time was causing some weird power quality issue. So perhaps, try another outlet as a start. Beyond that, I guess I'd try re-flashing it. Otherwise, you may need to open up a support ticket or contact the retailer about getting a replacement.

On Facebook, there was someone who had a similar issue, and he narrowed it down to the power conditioner he was using. It seemed that having his phone charger plugged into it at the same time was causing some weird power quality issue. So perhaps, try another outlet as a start. Beyond that, I guess I'd try re-flashing it. Otherwise, you may need to open up a support ticket or contact the retailer about getting a replacement.

Well, the Helix has a wall double outlet all to itself, and I've had the house completely rewired after my mum died and left me this house last year, so I guess we don'ty have to worry about dirty electrics. "Re-flashing" - how do I do that? Sorry, I'm 57, and there are, sadly, quite a few things I'm unaware of when it comes to hi tech stuff.

Well, the Helix has a wall double outlet all to itself, and I've had the house completely rewired after my mum died and left me this house last year, so I guess we don'ty have to worry about dirty electrics. "Re-flashing" - how do I do that? Sorry, I'm 57, and there are, sadly, quite a few things I'm unaware of when it comes to hi tech stuff.

By "re-flash" I mean send the firmware update to the Helix again. I see if you can get Line 6 Updater to recognize the Helix again and then re-send the update.

"Dirty Electrics" can be caused by external devices connected to your home wiring. Things such as: external power supplies (phone chargers, wall warts), CFL lighting, cheap LED lighting transformers, etc... Your home wiring may be brand new, but as soon as you plug something in that causes a bunch of noise (electrically, not audibly), then you have issues. 

"Dirty Electrics" can be caused by external devices connected to your home wiring. Things such as: external power supplies (phone chargers, wall warts), CFL lighting, cheap LED lighting transformers, etc... Your home wiring may be brand new, but as soon as you plug something in that causes a bunch of noise (electrically, not audibly), then you have issues. 

Right, let me clarify. On that particular circuit, beside the Helix, there is only my brand new Macbook, a heater and a couple of powered Edirol monitors. I'm confused how my disappointment at having forked out a BIG wad of cash seems to be something that should be held against me. When i buy something that expensive I expect it to work straight away, and a piece of equipment with that kind of price tag should be robust enough to leave questions about power interference irrelevant. I take it I should not put the Helix to live use, as I planned, seeing as not all venues have fantastic electrics. I actually have to unplug everything except the Helix, running the Mac on battery power, turning off the house lights, the heater and everything? 

Right, let me clarify. On that particular circuit, beside the Helix, there is only my brand new Macbook, a heater and a couple of powered Edirol monitors. I'm confused how my disappointment at having forked out a BIG wad of cash seems to be something that should be held against me. When i buy something that expensive I expect it to work straight away, and a piece of equipment with that kind of price tag should be robust enough to leave questions about power interference irrelevant. I take it I should not put the Helix to live use, as I planned, seeing as not all venues have fantastic electrics. I actually have to unplug everything except the Helix, running the Mac on battery power, turning off the house lights, the heater and everything? 

Nothing being held against you sir, just mentioning some things for you to be aware of. Helix is not different than any other piece of high end audio gear out there. Power interference is never irrelevant. Good luck to you. 

Nothing being held against you sir, just mentioning some things for you to be aware of. Helix is not different than any other piece of high end audio gear out there. Power interference is never irrelevant. Good luck to you. 

Thanks. I'm still in doubt as to whether I should keep it. I've tried it again a couple of times, and each time I had to have 5-10 tries before it gets past the startup window. Today I had to resort to firmware reinstall, then another 4-5 tries until it started. Before firmware reinstall I had tried at least 10 times without success. I had removed EVERYTHING from the power circuit, including the Mac power supply. Then, after an hour of programming the thing I turned it off just now. I sneakily turned it on again, had to try 4 times before it started. Faulty unit, methinks. If this is something that's considered normal I will return it, as I don't want to risk that kind of situation on a gig. Weird really, as my other Line6 gear has worked straight out of the box, my 1st generation Pod is still soldiering on after 17 years, as is my Pod XT Live after 9 years. My GR30s work well too, but the Helix has me worried.