Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My volume pedal has no variance, all on or all off

BuckeyeTodd

My volume pedal has no in between volume, it's either full on or completely off. When I set the block up, you can see it showing a gradual increase on the graph, but there is none when actually using it. Any ideas how to fix this?

The volume pedal block defaults to linear - change that to logarithmic and you will get the smooth change you are looking for.

Volume pedals (and indeed guitar pots) usually have log pots in them - no idea why the volume block defaults to linear :-/ 

Linear will change from 0-100% in a constant slope (linear) change. 

Logarithmic also changes from 0-100%, but the change is a curve and not a straight line. 

Either way, it should not make a sudden jump from 0 right to 100. I would try deleting that block and drop in a fresh one and don't change the default settings. It will default to EXP2. If it still jumps, then there is an issue. 

Linear will change from 0-100% in a constant slope (linear) change. 

Logarithmic also changes from 0-100%, but the change is a curve and not a straight line. 

Either way, it should not make a sudden jump from 0 right to 100. I would try deleting that block and drop in a fresh one and don't change the default settings. It will default to EXP2. If it still jumps, then there is an issue. 

Yes the *value* changes smoothly, but the way the ear perceives loudness means that for a linear *sounding* increase in volume the pedal needs a *logarithmic* sweep.

Try it, you'll see what I mean. 

Also, try changing the location of the pedal in your change.  If you put it before your amp, it's acting like your guitar's volume knob, and, for a lot of amps, pretty much just controls the tone, not the volume.  If you place the pedal after your amp, it'll act more like a volume pedal. As the previous poster said, logarithmic is closer to the way the ear perceives loudness.  I like to place mine after the amp and before the delay and reverb(s) for swells and such.

I just received an email from Line 6 about this...

"When a volume is in the signal near the beginning, the range of the "throw" is diminished due to the lack of dynamic range and compression introduced from the amp model.  If you want to change that, move the volume pedal block to the end of the signal chain."

Also, try changing the location of the pedal in your change.  If you put it before your amp, it's acting like your guitar's volume knob, and, for a lot of amps, pretty much just controls the tone, not the volume.  If you place the pedal after your amp, it'll act more like a volume pedal. As the previous poster said, logarithmic is closer to the way the ear perceives loudness.  I like to place mine after the amp and before the delay and reverb(s) for swells and such.

I can't say why, but I have always put them first in the signal chain. I'm going to move it and see what happens, thanks

... I like to place mine after the amp and before the delay and reverb(s) for swells and such.

I also place mine after the amp/cab and before any delay, reverb, or even mod effects like chorus that have a delay. That way the trails don't get cut off prematurely if you crank down your volume via the expression pedal.

Yes the *value* changes smoothly, but the way the ear perceives loudness means that for a linear *sounding* increase in volume the pedal needs a *logarithmic* sweep.

Try it, you'll see what I mean. 

Yes, I always run mine in logarithmic. Perhaps the "instantaneous" change in volume that he is referring to is the linear behavior. 

Yes, I always run mine in logarithmic. Perhaps the "instantaneous" change in volume that he is referring to is the linear behavior. 

Yep I agree - whenever I forget to change it to log I realise because it sounds like all the change is coming right a the start of the travel t

• 4 years later...