Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Autumn Leaves (P90 Les Paul into "Stone Age" EH-185)

Verne-Bunsen

This is an arrangement of the jazz standard Autumn Leaves (Joseph Kosma, 1945) that I've been working on for a while. I'm playing my Les Paul Traditional Pro with Lollar P-90s into the Helix's "Stone Age" Gibson EH-185 amp. The cabs are a RedWirez Supro Thunderbolt 1x15 IR and an Ownhammer Gibson Goldtone 10/12 (1x10 + 1x12) IR. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/vb-tunes/autumn-leaves

Should anybody be interested, here is a link to a transcription of the arrangement. It's in Dropbox, it can sometimes take some hunting to find the "Download" option depending on how you're viewing it, but it's there...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4air1vwx6gye1jg/Autumn%20Leaves.pdf?dl=0

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the kind words! Both the arrangement and the tone have been under a lot of revision over the past few months, I'm pretty happy with both at this point  :D

sounds great would like to be able to learn that song its so cool sounding. 

I have a tendency to forget my progress when I'm working on stuff like this so I actually kept a transcription of the arrangement as I went. I've updated the OP to include a link to it in Dropbox. Have at it and enjoy!

Nice! I do a solo guitar arrangement of Leaves too. I liked the trem stuff.

Thanks! I just installed the Bigsby on that guitar this weekend, can't get enough!

• 4 months later...

Just discovered your post and love your track, arrangement, and playing.

I am experimenting with EH-185 settings right now and are curious what I would get soundwise w/o your guitar (I have a JTV and should be able to find a guitar model that comes close)

Would you be willing to share your tone settings (any form)?

Thanks for posting.

• Upvote 1

Hi Martin,

Thanks for listening and for your kind words! This amp is a tough nut I still feel like I haven't quite cracked. It breaks up pretty easily and I wanted to keep it in warm clean territory, so what I did was to use an EQ in front of the amp to pull things back, then put a compressor after the amp to bring them back up and smooth things out. I used two Ownhammer IRs from the Gibson Goldtone 10/12 collection which, sadly, is no longer offered. It's a great collection! I re-loaded this preset and played with it some just now and found that I was getting a nice sound from a 1x12 Bluebell with a 57 and a 2x12 Jazz Rivet with a 121. I saved the preset with them loaded and will post a link to it here, but by all means play around with the cab/IR selections. Everything else is just how I had it. I'll be interested to know how it works for you!

The preset:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnr6io2l68pitoa/P-90%20EH185%28cabs%29.hlx?dl=0

(You should be able to download it by going to the "..." menu in the upper right hand corner, let me know if it gives you trouble. Dropbox can be wonky...)

Thank you, sir!

Yeah, I used to think it was an odd business decision to keep dis-continuing his various collections, but I've since discovered that it's maybe a little brilliant: I'm out of IR slots on Helix, but when he puts up something I find interesting I buy it anyway so as to not miss it. I have many IRs waiting for the day our benevolent benefactors in the Line6 Tower give us access to more slots...

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting your tone ... will check it out over the next couple days and let you know

Not sure whether its relevant for you in retrospect, but after measuring the Stone Age's response to a reamped small single line / double stop test track, I found that with the default tone stack setting the transfer curve (how the amp model translates input (true peak, RMS, and loudness) to an output signal) is essentially constant as long as the true peak of the input signal does not exceed -20dBFS!

That's quite low, I think. For example, when I did the same thing on my HD500 I got this behavior for a peaks not exceeding -12dBFS.

While these numbers don't say much about the amp tone beauty, I think its worth mentioning that when the amp input peak signal exceeds -20dBFS one gets compression showing up as decreased peak and increased RMS/loudness when compared to response one gets if peak are below -20dBFS. At moderate peaks above -20 dBFS I'd say one gets what some call soft clipping while at at very high input levels I would say the amp model sounds similar to digital clipping, all while the 0dBFS output level (real clipping) is not reached.

Well, some compression is part of guitar tone and what we want and thus not necessarily bad, but one wonders whether the amp model should be run in the uncompressing region (peaks below -20 dBFS), or in the compressed region, and if the latter, how much higher (compression) results in 'true amp behavior' or is just a modeling artifact to keep the output from real clipping for the totally ignorant user.

Hope what I say makes some sense. After doing more measuring and cross checking I can probably put it in a graph with a more detailed description if there is interest.

• Upvote 1

Not sure whether its relevant for you in retrospect....

Wow, that's quite an analysis! We're you comparing the input vs output meters in your DAW for those numbers or something else? Thanks for that info, I'm still digesting it somewhat but I do love tech specs!

Great playing, great tone. We've played this tune every now and then, but unfortunately haven't reached your level. Back to training ...

I played that song almost exclusively for months getting the arrangement worked about and getting to where I could actually play some of the parts in-context, I can't pull it off quite like that anymore either, haha! I appreciate your comment, it was a significant commitment of time and it's rewarding to hear it appreciated. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Awesome sound and performance!

Very nice thanks for the post!

Lovely tone and execution. And will def try out the patch since I hail from the lands of "jazz-clean" 

Might also now have to try a custom workshop thing with my JTV - using an LP model but with those P90.

Thanks guys! D0stenning, if you do try that patch out I'd be interested to know how it works for you. Seems like so often these things just don't translate right from one rig to another. When sharing presets I'm always curious to know if it meets with a "Hey, nice"" or a "What the heck is this?!", haha!

Wow, that's quite an analysis! We're you comparing the input vs output meters in your DAW for those numbers or something else? Thanks for that info, I'm still digesting it somewhat but I do love tech specs!

Yes, I just used Logic and its loudness meter to get TruePeak, RMS, and integrated loudness meter values. The reamped track went straight through a mono gain stage into the amp model. I checked out the gain stage by itself and it is not coloring the tone as far as I can tell from listening and meter values, and right on the spot when comparing dialed in gain values and actual gain change.

Thanks guys! D0stenning, if you do try that patch out I'd be interested to know how it works for you. Seems like so often these things just don't translate right from one rig to another. When sharing presets I'm always curious to know if it meets with a "Hey, nice"" or a "What the heck is this?!", haha!

Afraid the patch  doesnt work in the HELIX. It comes out empty.  Maybe u need to upload again ?

Semi-OT: For anyone interested in that discontinued Goldtone IR pack, I asked Kevin about it a while ago, and he pointed me to the Tyler 10/12 cabs he has. If I remember right, the Gibson was pulled due to a severed partnership, or something like that.

He currently has two 10/12 packs:

- 1012 TWEED CQ, with a vintage Jensen C10Q and a vintage Jensen C12Q

- 1012 TWEED VN, with a Celestion Vintage 10 and a Celestion "Marshall Vintage" G12V

Search on the Ownhammer site for 1012, you'll find them.

Ok, here is the link to the original patch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaw0g3fz9wgqrta/P-90%20LP%20EH-185.hlx?dl=0

Two things to note: 

It has IR blocks, so you'll either need to point them at appropriate IRs or replace them with cabs.

The "Big Reverb" switch toggles multiple blocks and currently indicates backwards: it shows off when it's on and vice versa. Just touch the switch a couple of times to cycle through the assigned blocks and it will indicate correctly. I corrected this in the previous version that I tried to upload, but I'm not at my Helix now so I can't edit it. 

Semi-OT: For anyone interested in that discontinued Goldtone IR pack, I asked Kevin about it a while ago, and he pointed me to the Tyler 10/12 cabs he has. If I remember right, the Gibson was pulled due to a severed partnership, or something like that.

He currently has two 10/12 packs:

- 1012 TWEED CQ, with a vintage Jensen C10Q and a vintage Jensen C12Q

- 1012 TWEED VN, with a Celestion Vintage 10 and a Celestion "Marshall Vintage" G12V

Search on the Ownhammer site for 1012, you'll find them.

I've got those two as well, they're worth having!