Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Caroline Guitar Company Kilobyte Approximation Patch Included

Bangha

Hey all!

I am seriously salivating over the Caroline Guitar Company Kilobyte after watching this video demo: (I highly suggest watching all of it, it's luscious!)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nWCF4UX4I7Q

Product page:

http://www.carolineguitar.com/portfolio/kilobyte/

I am away from my Helix and board for a few days. Has anyone managed to get anything similar on Helix, if not, what would your first thoughts lead you to try in order to mimic this gorgeous pedal?

Thanks, and I'll report back upon my own experimentation!

Cool! How would you do it?

Depends upon which effect of the Kilobyte you want to replicate.  Watching the video I heard at least 4 different unique effects.  I imagine you might get a more detailed reply if you are more specific as to which effect you are interested in.  Didn't watch the whole video so don't know - but if the Kilobyte doesn't have some sort of a preset feature, it's going to be pretty useless, in a real life situation, regardless of how good it sounds.

probably transistor tape delay, 1/8 tempo, around 40% feedback, maybe a little increase in wow/flutter, mix/blend to taste....something along those lines.  The rest is all guitar tone you feed into it.

Maybe even run that delay on a separate wet signal, at 100% mix, then you can add some stank on the front end of it (bit crusher, fuzz, distortion) for that glitched kind of delayed sound. Sexy...

Yeah I don't know if I agree with the people saying that you can get the same lo-if delay sounds in the Helix right now... I am by NO means ragging on the Helix's delay choices, as I actually LOVE the span of awesome echo's, and reverberated delights... that being said, I do really really love the sound of the Caroline pedal, and understand what he's looking for when posting this.

Is there a way to affect ONLY the sound of the repeated tone to hear it distort into that 8-bit, crunchy, warm, gooey sound in the delay pedal video? (If one of the aforementioned responses already accomplishes this, I apologize, I haven't tried all of the suggestions out yet)

Happy Snowstorm everyone on the Northeastern side of the US right now! â„ï¸

Hey everyone , thanks for your replies and insight.

I've finally had a chance to sit with my Helix, and I the first issue I run across is the ability to control the degradation of each repeat. Transistor tape comes the closest, however the degradation of the repeats takes WAAAY too long in order to achieve the desired effect. A "tape age" control would come in super handy. I've been trying out filters to slowly suck the highs out of the repeats, if I did manage, it's stil not a great solution as a change in guitars, or input volume would throw a wrench in the whole thing.

In all, any ideas to create faster degradation of each repeat? Maybe another one of the Helix delays can manage this and in my blundering ways I overlooked it?

Look forward to your feedback!

Just to add to my monologue, here's a little sound snippet of what I came up with to mimic the Kilobyte. Granted I haven't crossed referenced them since I put this together but this sounds pretty good. I included some of the fun self oscillation mockup I came up with, it can keep going forever! If anyone is interested I'll be happy to share the patch.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1PwLLDBqTrR

Just to add to my monologue, here's a little sound snippet of what I came up with to mimic the Kilobyte. Granted I haven't crossed referenced them since I put this together but this sounds pretty good. I included some of the fun self oscillation mockup I came up with, it can keep going forever! If anyone is interested I'll be happy to share the patch.

That degrading oscillation effect around 0:40 is awsome! Would love to see the patch - and/or have you explain how you got the effect.

That was pretty awesome

Thanks for your comments. I'll be happy to share the patch. Make sure to remove the .txt extension before importing into your Helix.

The whole thing is quite simple (I'm doing this off the top of my head as I do not have Helix next to me right now) the delay is a transistor tape set on a parallel path, it is preceded by an overdrive (the Klon if I remember correctly) and followed by a low pass filter to get a bit less sparkle on the repeats. It all goes into the Archon Clean as a sparkly platform. There are two snapshots in the preset:

Snapshot 1 - Expression pedal controls feedback. To get the "self oscillation" simply crank things up, as the repeats add up slowly bring the pedal back to a comfortable level, crank it back up and you can repeat forever with fun effects to be achieved by rocking the pedal rhythmically to create new patters. You can also step on the "Time" switch multiple to get the sync to 1/8th triplet notes, to get some fun space sounds as the time ramps up/down.

Snapshot 2 - Expression pedal controls delay mix. Pretty self explanatory.

It is worth adding I am using an impulse response on my patch. Needless to say any of your own will work.

Let me know how it goes for you and I hope you enjoy it!

Kilobyte Delay.hlx.txt

Whoa! That is awesome, any chance you want to clone any other cool pedals out there? It can keep me sane while we wait for the update!

Ha! I'd love to try for fun. Any suggestions? Just don't say Digitech Freq, I'm already trying with little/no success.

Ha! I'd love to try for fun. Any suggestions? Just don't say Digitech Freq, I'm already trying with little/no success.

did you try the trick with the pitch shifter- using the control pedal to control the volume of the pitch shifting (set to an octave or 5th), it can sound like feedback when you bring up the level when you hit a note.. that's where i'd start.. you might be able to take it further, somehow getting it to sustain

did you try the trick with the pitch shifter- using the control pedal to control the volume of the pitch shifting (set to an octave or 5th), it can sound like feedback when you bring up the level when you hit a note.. that's where i'd start.. you might be able to take it further, somehow getting it to sustain

That's a great idea Shane, at least one more step to get there. The biggest problem to tackle is the holding the note. I've ceated some wonderful reverb "dwells" as I call them as well as nice effects with delay, but it's all just too wet. I do have some ideas as to fun stuff to try with the new volume swell feature coming in 2.20