Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can Helix do global lead?

HudsonHawk

In my Axe Fx II XL and MFC101 I can assign a global lead so that whenever I press on a patch that I'm already in, again, it does my global lead.  GREAT FEATURE and hoping this can be done with the Helix???

I don't know of any capability like this on the Helix, sounds like a cool feature though. Generally I use a snapshot for my lead sound and I do like the lead to reflect the effects and amp/cab choices I have for that preset. I can see a global lead sound being useful in some scenarios though.

From what I understand, the "global lead" feature isn't really something inherent to the Axe FX, but rather more like a favorite preset button on the MFC101 that takes you immediately to that preset. If you had an external MIDI controller, you could easily do the same thing with the Helix, by simply having it send that dedicated PC all the time. Other than that, I can't think of a way to do on-board. I was thinking that perhaps programming a PC to a footswitch might work, but the problem with that would be that in order for that to work the Send/Receive PC parameter needs to be set to on in the Global Settings menu. And when that's on, the Helix not only responds to PCs, but send them upon a preset change. So I think you'd end up with a MIDI feedback loop that would probably cause a lock-up.

Sounds like this would be a useful feature although, as mentioned previously, "global lead" sounds more like what would be described as a 'global snapshot'. Then I suspect if the Helix had this feature people would be asking "why just one?". I guess since, as also mentioned previously, the Helix doesn't really have the capability, the next best thing is for us to do is create a single template preset containing all our favorite tone/effect/amp/cab/EQ/gain blocks (w/adjustments intact) for copying/pasting them into new presets as they are created.

Sounds like this would be a useful feature although, as mentioned previously, "global lead" sounds more like what would be described as a 'global snapshot'. Then I suspect if the Helix had this feature people would be asking "why just one?". I guess since, as also mentioned previously, the Helix doesn't really have the capability, the next best thing is for us to do is create a single template preset containing all our favorite tone/effect/amp/cab/EQ/gain blocks (w/adjustments intact) for copying/pasting them into new presets as they are created.

I understand snapshots from scenes in Fractal's stuff.  Global lead is different.  I like having a main lead that I use on a majority of my solos.  Some patches I make up specifically for the song to have it's own thing.  But to press again on a preset that is already on to have an alternate global preset is a great and simple idea to implement.  Hopefully the design guys at Line 6 read this and implement it.

I understand snapshots from scenes in Fractal's stuff.  Global lead is different.  I like having a main lead that I use on a majority of my solos.  Some patches I make up specifically for the song to have it's own thing.  But to press again on a preset that is already on to have an alternate global preset is a great and simple idea to implement.  Hopefully the design guys at Line 6 read this and implement it.

Like I said earlier, it's not so much a feature of the Axe FX itself as it is the MFC101 controller. It just means that there's a dedicated footswitch for that preset...  The old FBV Longboard controller used to have a "favorite channel" footswitch that was essentially the same thing as what you're describing, btw. It also had more footswitches than the Helix or Helix Control. So I guess it would just be a matter of figuring out where such a footswitch could be programmed.

Not aware of how many Scene settings Fractal supports per Patch or Preset. With Helix each Preset supports Eight (8) Snapshots (if you choose to use Snapshots).

You could define what you consider to be your "Global Lead" and Save that as a Template. Then, Copy and Paste that Template into each Preset you create in Helix, so that the Template occupies One (1) of your Eight (8) Snapshots.

You would need to do this for each Preset you create in which you want direct access to your "Global Lead" Snapshot. There are some constraints regarding Amp and Cab selections per Preset that apply to Snapshots.

Better than waiting for "someone" to read this post... check out Line 6's Ideascale.. in fact, I was just searching for the link to the main ideascale page, and this link came up.  Sounds like what you are asking for?  I voted it up.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-Global-Preset/727233-23508

Create your own if you want something different, or at least add to the comments.  This is one of the main ways Line 6 uses for prioritizing updates.

Not aware of how many Scene settings Fractal supports per Patch or Preset. With Helix each Preset supports Eight (8) Snapshots (if you choose to use Snapshots).

You could define what you consider to be your "Global Lead" and Save that as a Template. Then, Copy and Paste that Template into each Preset you create in Helix, so that the Template occupies One (1) of your Eight (8) Snapshots.

You would need to do this for each Preset you create in which you want direct access to your "Global Lead" Snapshot. There are some constraints regarding Amp and Cab selections per Preset that apply to Snapshots.

The problem with this approach is that all snapshots within a preset use the same blocks. You cannot select an entirely different set of blocks for each snapshot, you can only activate/bypass the ones in that preset as well as change their parameters. This means you need enough DSP available for whatever amps/cabs/IRs/effects etc. you select for that preset in addition to the blocks necessary for your "global lead" tone. So this approach might work fine for simpler presets where you still have enough DSP left over for adding the blocks necessary for your global lead tone but more complex presets would probably not have enough extra DSP.

Perhaps your best options right now are MusicLaw's approach for presets where there is enough DSP to fit both the general preset's blocks and the global lead's blocks and phil_m's approach with an external MIDI pedal for presets without enough DSP when the global lead is added. One problem I see with an external MIDI switch is easily getting back to the original preset after you have selected the global lead.

I suppose you could also put one instance of your global lead tone in every bank to make it easily available for Helix preset switches but that seems more than a little redundant and a waste of preset locations. This approach would also result in less flexibility in how you set up your footswitches, e.g. snap/stomp if you wanted to get to a preset switch quickly. Overall I don't see an ideal solution for a global lead right now. Maybe someone can post one up.