Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Weird behavior with Variax

Rocco_Crocco

Helix v. 2.10

JTV 89F

Last night at rehearsal while using the Variax into the Helix via the VDI cable, something strange happened. With a guitar model engaged on the Variax, if I would switch models, or change the position of the toggle switch, there was a major volume drop. If I moved the switch back the volume drop remained. All snapshots in the preset were effected. The only way to get back to normal volume was to re-select the patch. This happened on a couple different presets.

I just unplugged the VDI and used a regular 1/4 cable for the rest of practice , figuring I would deal with it today. Everything worked fine with the 1/4" cable.

Just now I tried to replicate the problem, but everything seems to be working normally.

Anyone else have this issue?

Check pages 21-22 regarding Variax settings and edits in the Owner's Manual Rev-D,

see if that helps.

http://line6.com/support/manuals/helix

Sounds like something similar to the Variax Model "Force/Don't Force" edit features of

our other floor effects products. Helix would have something similar.

Everything was set to "don't force", so I don't think that was the issue.

I've never had this happen. But, I pre program all model choices into my snapshots. Each of my patches is for an individual song. So I never change the model on the guitar itself. I guess if I was just jamming on one patch, I might change the model using the 5 way, but I haven't done that yet. We always seem to have something to work on, so we rarely jam.

Helix v. 2.10

JTV 89F

Last night at rehearsal while using the Variax into the Helix via the VDI cable, something strange happened. With a guitar model engaged on the Variax, if I would switch models, or change the position of the toggle switch, there was a major volume drop. If I moved the switch back the volume drop remained. All snapshots in the preset were effected. The only way to get back to normal volume was to re-select the patch. This happened on a couple different presets.

I just unplugged the VDI and used a regular 1/4 cable for the rest of practice , figuring I would deal with it today. Everything worked fine with the 1/4" cable.

Just now I tried to replicate the problem, but everything seems to be working normally.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sounds like an intermittent issue (maybe loose or failing VDI cable?) that hopefully won't reoccur but I am curious, what do you have your "Global Settings > EXP Pedals > EXP 2 Pedal Position" set to? It almost sounds like it was snapping back to the preset's volume setting rather than a global volume set by the pedal position.

OK, so in order to rid myself of the weirdness with the Variax->VDI->Helix, I updated to 2.12 hoping that would fix the problem. The original problem hasn't happened again yet, but some presets I had purchased turned my Variax models on, even though on the Helix input block, Variax Model is set to "don't force". It happened on about a dozen presets that all came from the same source. (I have used these presets for over a year, but only recently began using the VDI cable).It happened with my JTV89F and my JTV59. 

I was hoping to used the VDI cable to play live soon, but there are too many glitches.

If I turned off the Variax model on the guitar and resaved the Helix patch, it fixed it. 

So the problem has been isolated to

Bad VDI cable, or

firmware glitch, or

Helix hardware issue, or 

human error.

Anyone else experience this?

I have experienced similar Variax weirdness periodically, especially after a firmware update. Seems that some Variax- specific settings in presets created in earlier firmware don't always migrate properly. Like you, I've found that re-saving the preset in the new firmware helps. I've also found that it helps to disconnect the VDI cable during firmware updates and reconnect after the update is complete including the factory reset. Don't ask me to explain that.

There are some bugs with variax and helix intergration. Clear all controllers from the input block per patch (via Helix, not on editor) then reassign as needed for your snaps etc. I'm having to do this all the time. It seems to be on any patch not created by the current firmware. I wonder if 2.2 will be the same?

Thanks for the replies. When I updated firmware the guitar was plugged into Helix via VDI cable. It makes sense that I should disconnect first, and maybe even disconnect the VDI when powering on the Helix.

CBTL -- I am both glad and sorry others are experiencing this issue was well :D .

Maybe L6 can fix these odd occurrences.

L6 staff -- I would be happy to detail issues I experience with Variax/Helix integration going forward. Let me know if that would be helpful.

• 7 months later...

Greetings, 

I have a jtv 89f 2.22 updated and plugged with a variax cable in a HELIX 2.21 updated,
just when I plugged it, the sound apear to be realy low and increase slowly by it self ... the only solution to fix the volume is to block it in the helix ... does any one have this problem ?

https://www.facebook.com/samtouchevraiment/videos/1866046883413443/