Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thanks and Encouragement for Other Newbies

Doug6String

Thanks to everyone that steps up to help those that need help (like me)!  I’ve had my Helix about 5 weeks and yesterday I made the leap from discouragement to elation with the tones I am getting.  I have spent about two weeks really digging into this, asking questions, reading the Forum, other sources, and watching videos, and it finally all came together due to the Forum.  I was one of the folks having unwanted noise and a weak/dead tone due to how I was dealing with that.  I can’t point to a single thing that “fixed†my sound issues, but I had been doing all my editing with my laptop, and thus had not looked at the Global Settings, apparently only accessible using the Helix.  Once I tried some things with those settings, I got where I wanted to be with my tone.  It was probably more than just that since I've tried many, many things but the key is that I'm there!  Many people said it took months to really be satisfied with their sound so I'm very fortunate.  I have a lot more to learn and to try, but at least now I can enjoy playing and experimenting.  Thanks!  I have another question I will post separately since it has nothing to do with this.  If that’s bad Forum etiquette, let me know. 

• Upvote 2

That's a true story, I followed a similar curve. "Honeymoon" elation at first, followed slowly by growing dissappointment as I realized that all of the sounds in my head weren't falling out of Helix magically on their own, followed by more elation as I learned the machine and started understanding how to consistently get what I was after. My dark spell was months. But the light at the end is so bright!

The good news is that your proficiency with the Helix only grows over time if you stay engaged on forums like this or the Helix Facebook group.  It seems like every few weeks I make a discovery about how to best use certain features based on what I see or hear in these groups and start incorporating it into updates on my previously built patches.  It's almost as cool as an update of firmware when you make one of these discoveries.  You get a whole new tool.

Yeah, I'm definitely at the novice stage noting I just created a "doubler" effect with the dual reverb last night due to a few words I read in a really long post here!  Hadn't thought about doing that before reading the post.  There are just about infinite ways to combine everything and make adjustments.  Biggest challenge is to play, and not play with it!

I'm just playing more than I have in several years thanks to Helix and a few pedals. Nice to see that this forum is helping folks! It sure has helped me with Helix, as there are lots of good ideas shared here.

Doug6String:

Absolutely! Even reading your originating post of this thread enlightened me to the fact that Helix's Global Settings are not accessible via the Editor! Good to know, should I ever begin using Helix Editor. I specifically bought Helix for stand alone use, free from any computer (aside from updating firmware).

I have found these User Support Forums a gold mine of information, and the massive thriving Helix thread on TheGearPage.net is also an exceptional treasure chest of informative!

Doug6String:

Even reading your originating post of this thread enlightened me to the fact that Helix's Global Settings are not accessible via the Editor! Good to know, should I ever begin using Helix Editor.

IIRC - Global EQ modification and Command Center functions have been available since the Helix Application v1.10 Public Beta release back in March 2016, as noted here in bold.

New Features

* New Edit View—Click a block and its parameters appear as sliders. Click and drag a block to reorder it. Click and drag a block on a serial path down to move it to a new parallel path

* New Footswitch Assign View—Click a block and its footswitch assignment parameters appear as sliders. Drag the Footswitch slider to assign a footswitch to the block

* New Controller Assign View—Click a block and its controller assignment parameters appear as sliders. Drag the Parameter slider to select the parameter you wish to control and drag the Controller Slider to assign a controller to it

* New Command Center View—Click an Instant (lightning bolt icon) command, footswitch, or expression pedal and from the pull-down menu to the right of the item name, select the desired command type. Scroll down to view parameters for the selected command

* New Global EQ View—Click the Global EQ tab at the top of the editor window. Click Reset to reset Global EQ. Click the standby icon to the right of the Reset button to turn Global EQ on and off

Drag and Drop IRs—With an IR block selected in the Editor pane, drag & drop an IR from the Impulses list at the left directly onto the IR Select editor slider

Bypass Block Shortcut—Press B on your computer keyboard to bypass/enable the selected block

Clear Block Shortcut—Press Delete or Backspace on your computer keyboard to clear the selected block

Full Screen Mode—Mac: Click the green dot in the upper left corner of the Helix Edit window to display everything full screen; Windows: Click the maximize icon in the upper right corner of the Helix Edit window to display everything full screen

Resize Window—Drag the lower right corner of the window up, down, left, or right to resize the edit area

Also, should you ever decide to start using the Helix Editor, you should be aware that according to "Spikey", the big problem is that there is no tuner in the editor - Doh! 😃

Not sure what Editor version nor firmware Doug6String may be using, nor what Global Settings he may have changed to remedy the sound issues he had. Doug did not specifically mention Global EQ. The Global Settings on the Helix are comprised of several groupings and pages of parameters. As I don't use the Helix Editor, I don't know how many of the Global Settings (other than the Global EQ) may be accessible via the Editor software 1.10.

The 1.10 Helix Editor is now just days shy of it's 1 year release anniversary: Mar 29, 16. The newly revamped Helix Editor UI (due for release this Spring) looks great! Not yet aware of the entire feature set it may provide. Once it arrives and the new Helix Native are available, I'll consider getting a Tablet or Laptop for Helix. Until then, it's Helix as a dedicated stand alone unit -- exactly what I bought it for.

The last two posts are interesting.  In trying to get a good sound when I was struggling, I did use the global EQ in the editor.  I think all the functionality was there like in the device.  This helped but there was still something wrong.  Of course I had a file with a million ideas from the forum from searching "fizz" and unlike the scientist I am, I changed multiple parameters at time so I don't know if there was a single fix.  But after I accessed the global settings only available on the device (not in the editor), and changed a few things, incl turning guitar pad on (i forget the exact name), I made the leap to being able to create great sounds.

You know, before I even try out gear, multi-effects units, etc, I check out the health of the user forum. And this one is excellent!

Otherwise I take a pass. Haven't seen an owner's manual yet that can match a healthy, active online forum. Especially one where the company chimes in occasionally.

You know, before I even try out gear, multi-effects units, etc, I check out the health of the user forum. And this one is excellent!

Otherwise I take a pass. Haven't seen an owner's manual yet that can match a healthy, active online forum. Especially one where the company chimes in occasionally.

These Line 6 Helix User Support Forums are one of the best!